Xeon Or Opteron

I see on this site that some people have single or dual processor computers. These processors are usually opteron or xeon. Now what do you guys use this for other than servers? And how are these peocessors in the gaming world?

As far As I know there isn't much use for them outside of the Server world. Most games are signle threaded so they would only use one of the processors.

Thats all I know. But I had to reply, cause i know how it feels to be ignored, by what 11K members not replying.

Most games are signle threaded so they would only use one of the processors.

463046[/snapback]

Most games only take advantage of 1 processor you mean, there are lots of games that are multithreaded. Just not multi processor.

And yes, servers are a common application for multiprocessor systems. Generally you don't need that sort of power/it can't be utilised in destop applications.

I think intense media creation and editing (video, 3Drendering etc) is the only thing I can think of which multi proc systems are useful for on a non-server level.

I have a dual slot 1 pentium II 400mhz system that is GREAT for folding, it eats things! I also love running stuff on it as I use it for my main/work machine, the machine in the sig is my gamer machine. The dual processors just feel alot smoother, it boots pretty dang fast too, although that may just the ultra wide scsi II on the southbridge. Overall for general stuff they rock! at least mine does.