Sign in to follow this  
kewlboxer2

Windows Disadvantages That Linux Corrects

Linux is fine for gaming.

There's no defragging in Linux, but mke2fs still makes it fsck the drive every so often (tune2fs to fix this, for those of you who get fed up with it).

Uh.

How about Linux can be run from a CD? i.e., liveCDs. Not necessarily a problem with Windows, but rather an advantage to using Linux.

I haven't used DOS much, but when I have used it, I have problems getting the amount of functionality I have with a Linux command line. That is, command-line Linux seems to be a lot more powerful than command-line Windows/DOS. (Yeah, some of you will say that's because Windows is focused more for the GUI, but Linux users have X, too, which [uSE=-flamewar] is more advanced than the Windows GUI.)

Linux settings can easily be changed from the command line. Can Windows users change the resolution their GUI will start up with next time from DOS?

How about including something about the variety of windows managers for Linux? Yeah, Windows has those 'shells' like LiteStep or whatever, but the differences between those few alternative shells are nothing in comparison to the myriad of differences between different Linux window managers and desktop environments.

Bell for class just rang, I may add more to this later.

Full 64 bit support (long before Windows),light and easy for low spec systems to run quickly, some distro's can be run solely from a cd-rom. Open source so lots of people have written free software for it like GIMP and Open office etc,

462353[/snapback]

The linux kernel supports 64 bit, and there are some distros which have 64 bit binaries, but many are refraining from switching from 32 bit distros to 64 bit distros because there are still a few problems for desktop users (those of us w/ amd64 desktops and laptops namely). Don't get me wrong, it's getting better, but there's no official flash port and I've heard the open-source versions aren't quite there yet.

I've used Ubuntu's 64 bit port, but I've been havin some problems w/ my screen garbling up which is supposed to be fixed when I recompile my kernel, but when I try I seem to get wierd errors each time or the kernel won't boot.

Maybe it's just me, I haven't been using linux for a while because I've had hardware problems with my previous laptops and I've been relying on Windows for school,

but I still use a fair ammount of open-source software.

The linux kernel supports 64 bit, and there are some distros which have 64 bit binaries, but many are refraining from switching from 32 bit distros to 64 bit distros because there are still a few problems for desktop users (those of us w/ amd64 desktops and laptops namely).  Don't get me wrong, it's getting better, but there's no official flash port and I've heard the open-source versions aren't quite there yet.

I've used Ubuntu's 64 bit port, but I've been havin some problems w/ my screen garbling up which is supposed to be fixed when I recompile my kernel, but when I try I seem to get wierd errors each time or the kernel won't boot.

Maybe it's just me, I haven't been using linux for a while because I've had hardware problems with my previous laptops and I've been relying on Windows for school,

but I still use a fair ammount of open-source software.

469755[/snapback]

I've been a windows geek since I was little and I just recently switched to Ubuntu, and it's running on my HP laptop, which I was shocked since linux really has'nt done to much with laptops, but I don't have any glitches, and I have no problems with gaming, that's why you can have games ported if you know what your doing or have someone else that does. I have to computers with Ubuntu, and one with Windows, and the two linux computers give me now issues, and occassionally the windows, one give me problems. I'm just tired of all the software you need just to keep windows running, lol.

Edited by Tripp82