Me To Xp Help Needed

rodbr

I need to install XP on my brothers machine to use the access features for disabled.

Unfortunately he lives 400 miles away and I can not go down to physically do it myself, I know it would be easier to format c:\ and do a fresh install.

I understand that XP pro will not install over ME Is this correct?

Would it be possible to do it by installing XP home with the update option first and then install XP pro over the top of that?

I would change partitions to NTFS with Partition Magic after insatlling XP home.

I have had a real headache when I tried to transfer my parttitioned 80 Gb Seagate to a new PC. Firstly I backed up all my MP3 and Movie files to partitions and installed the hard disc. I booted up with an XP start up disc and formatted C:, set the boot sequence to boot from CD and installed windows 5-6 times. but it still would not run (file missing or corrupted).

I eventually had to re-install to old PC, copy 60gb of files/format the whole drive re-install to new PC format as an 80 GB, Install XP, take the Drive back again to IDE 2 in old PC copy 60gb back again. replace the disc in nw PC and all is now very well.

usually xp wont isntall over an M$ OS. I recommen you just use fdisk to delete the partion, start up with the xp pro cd, when it starts to install it will reformat first and you will be able to pick your filesystem(ntfs, FAT32) that should be all. :)

I'd delete everything that can be reinstalled off a cd later and stuff that wont survive a new OS installed (relies on files in windows dir and registry to operate) and keep any other files that are necasarry... then resize the partition in partition magic so theres like 5 gigs at the beginning of the drive and install xp to the free space... then get rid of windows on the other partition and everything else ya dont want and go from there...

if you could upgrade from ME, I would not recomend...

also if ya have another drive you could always install the os to it and use this as a slave or backup the stuff to the other drive or somethin...