I Dont Notice A Difference When O/c P4 2.8

thef1re

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Silenc3

Your gfx card sux butt, your cpu isnt OC'd very much at all... and last but not least "P4 2.8/HT @ 3.5 (5:4)" P4's are memory hogs, running a divider kills the OC.

GRG

Your gfx card sux butt, your cpu isnt OC'd very much at all... and last but not least "P4 2.8/HT @ 3.5 (5:4)" P4's are memory hogs, running a divider kills the OC.

GRG

460549[/snapback]

that is a great OC for that proc!

Don't worry I didnt notice a difference when overclocking my Barton 2500+ to 3200+, so this is why I leave it at stock

460298[/snapback]

hehe, my 2500+ @ 2.11 is faster than stock, so i left it overclocked...

Most ppl that overclock do it for the benches really. In the "old" days, overclocking even a little gave you a huge real-life performance gain. With the speed of news new processors, a couple hundred mhz will hardly make a noticable difference unless you do some serious everyday a/v work. If you want to notice a difference, its usually in gaming, and its usually by oc'ing the graphics card. I drop my oc down to 2.55 ghz to keep my temps and voltages down for everyday use, and dont notice any difference from what I bench at(~2.7ghz). Stock is 2.2, and I dont notice any real life difference until I get around 2.6ghz. Unless you're benching, I'd keep your processor at stock or a little above for normal use, while just keeping the videocard overclocked. Then you can just up everything when you're ready to bench.

460312[/snapback]

ok, wth is going on here? i know some people only oc to bench and have crazy bench-only set-ups... i don't think they are in the majority though, not by a long shot, most people KEEP there oc's and run the same high oc all the time like me...

hitting your max stable is just for bragging rights

460372[/snapback]

no, hitting your max stable is so you can run your pc at that speed 24/7 and have a pc that beats most other peoples... again, like me :P

stock is for pussies, i don't oc for benches, i oc for my own pleasure and essentially higher framerates and faster encoding...

I mean top oc. I can easily bench at 2.7ghz, and keep it there. But why? I run just as noticably fast real-life usage at 2550(hell, probably at 2400), with less volts, heat, and can keep my fans quieter. When I need to bench, crank it all up. If not, it stays nice and happy at 2550. No point at all in always running your max oc. none.

Higher framerates would be from ocing the vid card...cpus dont play nearly as big a part as they used too, and encoding falls under "lots of a/v work".

Well i dont know what to get next a new vid card (prob a 6600GT) or some Corsair 1GIG. Anyway i left my 2.8 @ 3.5 on 24/7. Though why are 3.5 so much mroe expensive if the "perfoamce" is not very noticable? Just by a 2.8 and o/c to 3.5, save you dough.

running the memory 1:1 (CPU:DRAM) ratio usually provides better results as the memory bus will keep things moving as fast as the FSB is, otherwise your memory will be a bottleneck

honestly, i usually dont see a noticeable difference until i hit 500-600Mhz above stock, and then it's not a huge difference, small, but there's a certain amount of bragging rights and good feelings that come when friends or family come over and say, so what you got now? i say, a 3.8Ghz Intel Prescott system...and they go wow, you got alot of money in that, and then i explain that it's a 3.0 at 3.8Ghz, and then they start googling at the water cooling(many many people are still amazed at it, even the tech's at Monarch Computers, you should have seen them when I brought it in....lol)

You guys are on crack, I noticed a huge performance increase from 1.53 to 2.22. Might be because of the weak proc, but o well.

I like the feeling of an Overclocked Proc, its my form of social protest. I mostly do it to save money, and spit in the manufacturers face.

I most certainly notice a difference with my 2500+ at 2.6ghz, speedwise and noisewise! at 2.6 I can run for about 1 and halve years without crashing sounds like a vacuum in my room, but I don't have the money to get into water cooling, I would love to though