I Dont Notice A Difference When O/c P4 2.8

thef1re

If you look at my sig, ive o/c my 2.8 to 3.5 stable. Though last nite i decided to make everything default, mhz, voltages- everything was on stock now. Now i dont notice a difference....the temps are the same and to me the performance are the same.

But a 2.8 processor is ALOT cheaper than a 3.5 cheaper even though to me (after o/c) they peform the same? I only notice 5FPS decrease in CS:SOURCE from 3.5 to 2.8.

How strong/better are Intel processors? Like From which MHZ will i start to feel a chnage etc?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most ppl that overclock do it for the benches really. In the "old" days, overclocking even a little gave you a huge real-life performance gain. With the speed of news new processors, a couple hundred mhz will hardly make a noticable difference unless you do some serious everyday a/v work. If you want to notice a difference, its usually in gaming, and its usually by oc'ing the graphics card. I drop my oc down to 2.55 ghz to keep my temps and voltages down for everyday use, and dont notice any difference from what I bench at(~2.7ghz). Stock is 2.2, and I dont notice any real life difference until I get around 2.6ghz. Unless you're benching, I'd keep your processor at stock or a little above for normal use, while just keeping the videocard overclocked. Then you can just up everything when you're ready to bench.

Guest Jeremy

You would have to have a signifigant CPU overclock to notice a difference in games, thats mainly determined by your graphics card. Like Marty said though, you should notice a difference in things like Folding etc.

Yeah, ill drop my 2.8 back down to stock. Well a 3.5ghz is nearly double the price of a 2.8...even thought the difefrence are hardly noticable. lmao.

Well ive never ever O/C my video card before. Just a quick question, How far can a MSI 128 FX 5600 o/c to? like in genral....to a 5900? Or is that too much of a jump

5500s arent know for their umm ability...so i wouldnt get any hopes of 5900 like performance. 5700? maybe if you upgrade cooling and volt mod it. but if you want a few more FPS in the fancy new games (well old ones too :D) then OC until you find a max stable and see what it does for ya.

a 5600 cant Oc higher than a stock 5600Ultra. thats 400/600? and stock is 325/500?

i got that core up to 70c WOHOOO!!!

i cant really remeber that video card i had like 2 years ago.

its not the same as 6800's as those can OC to the ultra with eas.

Edited by hornybluecow

I see the difference in Folding and in games. Also, it may be all in my head, but I think the Desktop is a bit "snappier" with a nice CPU OC. As for relative gain, I have a hard time telling any difference between 100 Mhz OC's (other than benchmarks). I tend to notice the cumulative effect of a few hundred Mhz though. On my P4 2.4C, I saw some real performance benefits starting to show when I got it to 3.0, and after that it takes 3.3 or 3.4 for me to notice another obvious performance jump. On my A64, I can notice the difference between stock (2.0) and 2.55, but I can't see much difference between 2.0 and 2.1 or 2.4 and 2.5.

Because of my lack of AGP locks I had to abandon my 20% overclock when I changed graphics cards and ended up tightening my ram timings up from cas 3-5-5-15 at MA of 2t, to cas 2-3-3-5 with a 1t memory address this has resulted in a system that actually feels snappier (to quote Rtarget!) in most apps than it did before too.