Briefcase Updates!

Well, I have three shots for you as it stands so far. I just now mounted the motherboard, which gives me the motivation I need to try and finish (I was panicing earlier on how the hell I would mount the board in there, didn't think I would be able to finish it off!)

I didn't use aluminium and make a tray in the end. I scouted out to the shed while everyone was out and found a couple of bits of scrap wood, cut it to around the right length and screwed it to the sides of the briefcase. Then drilled some holes in the wood and put in those little bronze spacers, screwed the motherboard on :) As far as grounding goes, I think I am just gonna make a wire which goes under one of the spacers and screw it to the PSU, should work ok.

The IO backplate (thank you hardnrg, couldn't remember what that part was called!!).. well, for now I have just cut out a rectangle from the bit where there was actually no wood (this part allows the briefcase to raise a bit and make it taller).

Finally, the supports I was talking about :) These just hold the briefcase up to compensate for the missing part of wood going all the way around (who's stupid idea was that, really!!!)

Whatcha think so far? Bear in mind... it's... my first real make a case attempt, so it's bound to be a little hacky!!!

Left to do:

• Cut out PSU fan/plug holes (that's gonna take some effort :( )
  • Maybe make the IO backplate bit bigger and put the proper metal plate there, but the machine should only actually have the parallel port (LCD), serial port (serial console) and keyboard plugged in anyways...
  • Cut out LED holes on the front (no problem really, chipboard cheapy stuff!)
  • Cut out LCD rectangle on the front! (same as above)
  • Cut out fan hole (same as above yet again!)
  • Cut out network plug holes/brackety bits up the side

Seems like a lot, but I think cutting in the chipboard won't take long really! Cutting the wood around the side (PSU fan, IO backplate and network card holes) is gonna be the biggest pain in the arse.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys :D

I'm pretty pleased with it so far. With a few holes in it for various plugs, maybe a coloured lighty up (brief)case fan in the top and a little LCD display, I think it outta look pretty neat while it's running :)

I'll probably be cutting out the stuff in the top tomorrow, well.. a fan hole at the least, possibly the LCD display. I'll post some pics of that :)

Have you thought of mounting an LCD monitor to the inside of the lid of the briefcase? Then you could mount a thin, laptop style keyboard ontop of the actually components. Install small speakers in the front by the clasps. It would end up looking like a brief case laptop. I don't know if that's what you had in mind.

Can you imgaine going to class/work with a briefcase, looking all professional, then you open it up, and bam, you're playing CS or sumthin.

It's a brief case!! get it? it's funny.

Have you thought of mounting an LCD monitor to the inside of the lid of the briefcase? Then you could mount a thin, laptop style keyboard ontop of the actually components. Install small speakers in the front by the clasps. It would end up looking like a brief case laptop. I don't know if that's what you had in mind.

Can you imgaine going to class/work with a briefcase, looking all professional, then you open it up, and bam, you're playing CS or sumthin.

It's a brief case!! get it? it's funny.

453976[/snapback]

Yes, I have actually. I was looking for something quite small (its a server, console only) thinking about trying that playstation LCD.. but they seem to just be a real pain to get working properly and I have no idea what 'csync' is.. or if the onboard graphics supports it (doubt it!!). I don't really have the money to mess around with a proper 14" LCD or anything, so I think the PS LCD is about my only option.

Oh, and it's a 1ghz celeron with like.. 64mb of PC100 SDRAM at the moment. Might just manage CS 1.6, def not any new games though :P

mrboo....i am strangely in awe of this bizarre creation....

....but i dont know why!!

I look forward to the finished article. obviously the easter break gives you very little to do unlike me...i'm rationed to 2 hours a day revision before i trudge 240miles back to scouse land.

aww...i wanna trendy case (no pun intended) now!

Looks good! Good luck and have fun finishing it...modding is so much fun :) I love unique stuff like that too. Oh, and i bet you can *solder* the ground wire to the psu! ;):lol:

mrboo....i am strangely in awe of this bizarre creation....

....but i dont know why!!

I look forward to the finished article. obviously the easter break gives you very little to do unlike me...i'm rationed to 2 hours a day revision before i trudge 240miles back to scouse land.

aww...i wanna trendy case (no pun intended) now!

454043[/snapback]

lol :D Actually, I do have lots of Uni work I should probably be doing, and revision! I have 3 bits of coursework to finish off because of the early easter break, then 2 weeks after we're back it's straight in to exams :(

The briefcase only cost me like