Sign in to follow this  
RnDestroyer

Wut Is Thermal Throttling

it's also a failsafe i think - i know that if my P4 gets too hot, it shuts itself down (not the standard mobo setting that can do the warning thing too) im pretty sure all Pentium4+ do it. correct my errors tho!

i have a blister from where my friends HP intel laptop overheated, and turned off, i pulled out the power plug to see if it was ok (kuz he has overheated and melted 3 different power cables) and i touch the plug and it BURNS! it left a huge blister one me.. and its still there... i hate laptops now

it reduces the speed of the cpu when the temperature gets above a specified point, in an effort to cool itself down, however, by the time you hit that high temp, it will continue to get hotter unless it it shut down altogether, so basically it slows down the progressive heat increase to keep from burning up

i have tried to make it happen on my 3.0E and never could, never happened up to 81c according to my mobo temp sensors

You can't detect thermal throttling without a special utility...the clock speed doesn't actually decrease. It just throws idle calls into the cpu to sort of "nullify" some of the cycles. It's not like cool 'n quiet or anything where the lower cpu speed shows up in cpu-z or wcpuid. You were probably getting it and just not realizing it.

I don t think amd uses thermal throttling.

I think when an amd processor gets hot it shuts down the computer and if your motherboard has a system speaker it beeps untill you turn the power off.