Sign in to follow this  
sehender1

New Ram Question

Hi. I'm considering some new RAM and had a couple of questions. Full disclosure: I know enough about computers to have selected the parts for my current machine, but I'm no expert, so bear with me! <_<

First: the reason I'm considering the new memory is that I have a new 6800 GT OC vidcard that I'm overclocking.

I can't get it past about 416/1.09, and I thought perhaps this was because of the RAM I'm using. (this is what I need help with.)

My Mobo is a p4p800, with 128 MB vid capability, and I suppose maybe that's the reason the vidcard won't go much faster, because it is 256 MB.

I really like my mobo quite a lot though and don't want to go through the hassle of swapping it out.

So I'm thinking that replacing my 1 GB of ValueSelect Corsair DDR 400 with Corsair XMS Extreme DDR 400; both are PC3200..

In general, I suspect I'll get better performance out of the XMS all around, so I'm not worried about that. My only question is whether it will have any effect at all on the overclocking for the vidcard.

Are these things related at all?

Many thanks for any advice!

ocing your videocard has nothing to do with ram, it has to do with heat, but yeah diffrent ram will give you a change in score but will not change how high you can oc it

ocing your videocard has nothing to do with ram, it has to do with heat, but yeah diffrent ram will give you a change in score but will not change how high you can oc it

449090[/snapback]

Wow.. thanks for the very quick reply.

So i can increase performance overall with better RAM and maybe see a difference in 3dmark05 (i'm getting 5355 right now), but to OC the vidcard higher I need to cool it better..

that right?

thanks for the info!

indeed, are you using the stock cooler on that GT, if so i would lower the clock intll you atlest get a second fan on that baby, you must be hitting 70c, switching my ram from 3-3-3-8 value Xms to 2-2-2-5 Extreme Xms i only say around 1,000 point diffence in 3dmark 01 and 03, about 300-500 in 05. but thats just benchmarks, all my games run a lot smother, but it takes around 2.7-2.8v- check you board see if it can output that.

Edited by hornybluecow

all my games run a lot smother, but it takes around 2.7-2.8v- check you board see if it can output that.

449105[/snapback]

How do i check this?

Like i said, it's a p4p800 and I'm running a thermaltake 480W powersupply.

Also: How would I further cool the vidcard. Are there external heatsinks for that?

Edited by sehender1