Sign in to follow this  
=NOVA=

My First Super Computer Lol.. =)

This is my first post and a dandy one at that. I just got and asus a8v mobo, athlon 64-3500, maxtor 200 gig diamond max 10 8mb buffer, 1 1/2 gig of pc3200 ram, 400 watt x-connect power supply, 17" cmv lcd monitor, 9800pro 256mb, and ultra black neon windowed case.

I was looking at the Thermaltake SonicTower 4-in-1 Heatpipe Cooler. has anyone used one and would it be a good choice for o/c. Please any suggestions you may have are welcomed.

Thanx.

hi and welcome to occ. if you have enough space in your case go ahead. id suggest a thermalright hs like the xp-90 or xp120 and just add a good fan. id use a vantec tornado

nice setup you've got there. That cooling setup looks pretty cool, but it might be a bit overkill, but it sure is sweet looking, if you've got room, go ahead and try it out, I'm curious about it

I have a Zalman Cooler and am Very satisfied with it

congradulations nova, i just put my first NONsuper pc together not to long ago either. you sure picked a sweetie to get going. have you o/c'd it yet?

Guest Silenc3

welcome to occ.

With the hsf dont get what you have listed there, you will regret it, get yourself an xp-120 if you can fit it, if not grab yourself an xp-90

Welcome to OCC NOVA... nice component selection (except for the Maxtor HDD :P) wouldn't mind a nice A64 system, ah one day :rolleyes:

Personally I wouldn't go with that heatpipe tower cooler, mainly because it'll most likely damage your m/board (especially if you LAN alot ;)) it weighs 692g, 24.43oz @ the base, and it's 150mm tall... how much flex do you think it'll exert on it's mounting points r/t the fulcrum motion/action?

Besides plenty of good (and not too heavy) cooling solutions out there, ask /look around the forums, that'll will give you an idea what seems to be the better selection (benefit from other's trial & error) ;)

nice setup man...id go with an XP 120 or the 90 like everyone is saying...there are some really good fans you can mount on them...its all dependen upon how much noise you will endure...like i found one fan that would push 220cfm at 65db

asus a8v mobo

448118[/snapback]

the VIA chipset (and it's lack of an AGP/PCI lock) will likely be the first thing to hold you back... even before your generic ram...

if there's any chance you can send it back and get an nForce3 or nForce4 based mobo then oc-ing will be a lot easier and a lot more rewarding

:withstupid: I agree with nrg on the mobo. IMO it isn't a super computer with that mobo at the base of everything lol. I also agree with the others on getting an XP-120 or XP-90 for cooling it. :)

Thanx for the info guys. The mobo was part of a barebone. I could sell the mobo and get the nforce 3 or 4 chipset. and i will be getting the 120 and hope it fits LOL.

Great advice thanx.

looked for more mobos 939 chip design for nforce4. I only have a 8x agp card and the ones with those chipsets are pci-e. When i get it together and oc i will post the stats.

The nforce3 is the one with the AGP slot. ive seen epox and gigabyte. Or what nforce mobo to recomend. thanx again.

Edited by =NOVA=

Thanx for the info guys.  The mobo was part of a barebone.  I could sell the mobo and get the nforce 3 or 4 chipset.  and i will be getting the 120 and hope it fits LOL.

Great advice thanx.

looked for more mobos 939 chip design for nforce4.  I only have a 8x agp card and the ones with those chipsets are pci-e. When i get it together and oc i will post the stats.

The nforce3 is the one with the AGP slot.  ive seen epox and gigabyte.  Or what nforce mobo to recomend.  thanx again.

448407[/snapback]

If you want to stick with your AGP card then get the MSI K8N Neo2 P.E. mobo. For A64 systems I honestly recommend staying away from any brand other than MSI and DFI.