Which Photomanagement Software Do You Use?

Vasto

Which photomanagement software do you use?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which photomanagement software do you use?

• Picassa
    • Picassa 2
    • ACD See
    • Other
    • None

How many pictures do you have to have before you need a piece of software to manage them do you reckon?

Over 100?

Over 500?

Over 1000?

Over 5000?

More than that?

Personaly I have about 1500.. but I reckon once you get a few hundred it starts to get harder to manage them in just explorer alone.

Photo Management software, in my opinion is a waste of money. How hard is it to create subfolders within the main folder of your picture folder? Basically, I have subfolders that have specific categories and I put my pictures into specific categories. It's not that hard and it's free to.

Also, you could easily manage these photos by creating an Access Database, not that hard either.

No offense to those people that have them, but Photo Management software is for noobs and the software developers creating these programs really love you for buying their software and keeping their business in check.

This would be #5 in my list of among the "most useless" software category.

#1 most useless software would be Tax software because you have to buy it every year. Huge waste of money. It work's out for Intuit and other such companies though.

I use Picasa2 to manage pictures, the browsing system is awesome. The effects are simple but you can export slideshows that will run on any computer, with or without picasa(works AWESOME, i use it to make cds of photos of the landscaping i do, and give it to customers to show off my work, i have yet to have a customer that wasnt impressed), make posters, backgrounds and stuff with it, and its free. As for photo editing, my photoshop CS takes care of that nicely.

Now when picasa3 comes out, ill be downloading it right away...

Photo Management software, in my opinion is a waste of money. How hard is it to create subfolders within the main folder of your picture folder? Basically, I have subfolders that have specific categories and I put my pictures into specific categories. It's not that hard and it's free to.

Also, you could easily manage these photos by creating an Access Database, not that hard either.

No offense to those people that have them, but Photo Management software is for noobs and the software developers creating these programs really love you for buying their software and keeping their business in check.

This would be #5 in my list of among the "most useless" software category.

#1 most useless software would be Tax software because you have to buy it every year. Huge waste of money. It work's out for Intuit and other such companies though.

448357[/snapback]

Thanks for the laugh. :) I needed that.

Talk about spending money on managing photos as a waste, but then you talk about building an access db.... considering to get the latest version of Access it'll cost you $100-$700.

Picasa = %100 Free

Cannon ImageZoom = Free if you buy a Cannon camera.

HP Photo(whatever) = Free with a scanner or all-in-one purchase.

I could use subfolders... but then it's not exactly as easy to manage as with Picasa. Let's take this example... I created several banners for OCC that promotes Firefox and Opera, as well as separate banners that promoted each banner individually.

Now lets organize it into folders...

\Images\OCC\

\Images\OCC\Banners\

\Images\OCC\Banners\Firefox

\Images\OCC\Banners\Opera

\Images\OCC\Banners\Firefox & Opera

But now, what do you do if you want to see all of the images you did for OCC at once? o.O There is no easy way to do it.

Now, let's look at the Picasa method. Anyone who uses GMail should like this:

\Images\OCC\

Place all of the images into 1 folder... then inside of Picasa, you can apply as many filters as you need... I can say "Created in 04", "Created in 05", "OCC", "Banners", "Firefox", or "Opera". I can apply as many filters as needed to any image... now when I want to find all OCC Banners I created, I just look at those specific ones.

Makes life much simpler.

Oh, and I'm by no means a n00b. ;) With what I do on a daily basis, I look for stuff to simplify my work.