Sign in to follow this  
g_bones

6800 Gt Or Ultra

I would love to upgrade to a PCI-Ex system, but that would run me alot more cash. My current system is an AMD Barton 2500+ at 2.2ghz, 1 gig cheapo DDR400 ram with a 9800pro. I know the 9800pro is still a good card, and that my cpu will not utilize the full potential of the newer card, but I have seen people with similar systems hitting 4800 or more in 3dmark05 with a 6800GT, while I'm at 2500. That has to equal a better gaming experience. Within the year, I plan to build a whole new rig and give this one to the wife, (and fold on), but with my first kid due next month, a video card is the best I can hope for, for now.

Inu, begging your pardon, but I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

While the AGP 8X slot may not be the 'newest thing', the fact remains that its available bandwidth has never been saturated by any video card to date.

And while the PCIe interface may indeed become necessary for the dual-GPU'ed, 512MB DDR4 cards moving 60GB/s that are coming to run at their best, for now the AGP interface does not bottleneck the newest cards in any way; so the AGP 8X slot offers the same performance levels as PCIe. For now.

I am going to get an AGP 6800 of some kind soon to allow me to put my 5900U into the GF's rig; I will get a PCIe board when I shift up to a 64-bit CPU.

Until then, it's AGP all the way for me!!