Could Mobo Be Shorting Out On These?

upok

okay, some of you are aware of my neo2 nightmare. 3 neo2's since christmas. so, i'm waiting for my rma. i decided to work on some wire management, clean up my case, make room for my new psu(i think i've decided on an antec neopower 480, or enermax 535 sli), etc.

well, i have an antec p-160 with the removable mobo tray. i was looking at the tray and noticed that there are two raised standoff mounts directly under where the processor would be on a neo2. the neo2 has a backplate in the same location. is it possible that the backplate is shorting the board out on these.

and would putting some electrical tape over them be a good precaution, or do you think it would hurt anything? i don't see what it could hurt. what do you think?

post-64061-12813086099521_thumb.png

Edited by upok

only problem with that plan is that by the time i knew there was a problem, the boards were cooked. so, testing them outside of the case was not really an option. i did try one of them out of the case after the crash, and it still did nothing.

no h2o, all air.

thanks for the replies, keep'em coming. i hope there is something you point out that i've missed. i've had as much downtime with my a64 as i have up time and that stinks.

again, thanks.

If they're under the CPU socket area like you said.. I would get rid of them pretty quickly. I know my Epox board has lots of tiny resistor things around the backplate area so it could those causing the problem. Looks like a stupid place to put standoffs anyway! I would file them down or something just to make sure...