Did I Kill My X800?

Ok, here's the deal. I took off the stock cooler so I could put on the Logisys All COpper VGA cooler. I noticed that the part of the cooler that actually comes in contact with the chip might have been a little obstructed by the shim on the card. I also read this on one of the reviews for the cooler. So, I took my razor blade out, and very carefully began to remove the shim. Now, as careful as I was, I slipped a little when the razor broke through the rubbery glue stuff that holds on the shim, and I hit those little brown square things around the core. I knocked one or two of them off. Now, I don't know what those things are or why they're there, but I'm sure they're pretty important. My system still booted up and everything, and the temps on my card are great, but does anyone know if I did any real damage to the card? I haven't tried any games or benchmarks yet, I'm a little afraid(of what I might have done to the card, "Ignorance is bliss"). I'd greatly appreciate anyone's input on this matter.

I think they might be something to do with memory? If they're like... orangey.. I saw pictures of someone who knocked an orangey thing off of their Athlon64 whilst trying to get the heatspreader off... he said the CPU actually still worked, but only with one stick of RAM.

Otherwise yeah, little tiny caps or resistors. Do they have like.. little pins, like a really mini microchip thing? Or is it just a small rectangle with two strips of metal either end? Pictures??? You could always try and get a fine tip soldering iron and stick them back on :)

EDIT: Just seen pics of around the core, they all look like the SMD resistor/caps to me. Have a go at soldering them back on if you can. I would :) You may be able to take the card and little bits over to some electronics shop place and get it repaired if you're not that brave.

If they came totally off and you're not sure which resistor goes where, send close up pics over to xtremesystems.org and they may be able to help you determine what goes where.

The only problem with that is I have no idea where they went. They are so small and when they broke off, I didn't see where they went. Besides, I don't solder. Also, Everything seems to work, I've benched it a few times using 3dmark05 and 03 and I still get the same scores I used to, and I don't see anything out of the ordinary. What risks am I taking by not puting them back on?

Well, it OCs just as good if not better than before, and it also benches the same, and the temps are great. The only thing left to do is to actually play a game. That will have to wait though. Sadly I have 2 midterms I must study for, and I can't spend my time playin games, as much as I would love to. I guess wayway's right, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well, if it still works like normal you're either VERY lucky orrrr... you thought you knocked a couple off, but actually didn't, and they were just small blank solder pads sitting there before anyway :)

If it's still working, that's very possible ;)

I expect if you knocked a couple of those resistors/caps off it wouldn't work at all. Otherwise, get on to ATi and tell them you've found a way to lower their production costs :lol:

if you knocked somethign off, and it still works, that is REALY odd, i would check your voltages with a voltmeter. but if it benches the same and OCs the same, dont touch it, leave it how it is. and if it breaks, i agree, send it to ATi...