Gator Is Now A Federal Advisor On Privacy!

fastvfr

Link to story...

"The Department of Homeland Security has named Claria, an adware maker that online publishers once dubbed a "parasite," to a federal privacy advisory board.

An executive from Claria, formerly called Gator, will be one of 20 members of the committee, the department said Wednesday.

"This committee will provide the department with important recommendations on how to further the department's mission while protecting the privacy of personally identifiable information of citizens and visitors of the United States," Nuala O'Connor Kelly, the department's chief privacy officer, said in a statement.

Claria bundles its pop-up advertising software with ad-supported networks such as Kazaa. Recently, the privately held company has been trying to seek credibility by following stricter privacy guidelines and offering behavioral profiling services to its partners.

In an e-mail message to CNET News.com, Kelly defended the inclusion of a Claria representative on the committee. "I am proud of, supportive of and grateful for those individuals in the public and private sector who are willing to take on the hard tasks, fight the good fight, and who surprise us with creative, fresh and unconventional thinking, and who make change where change is needed through their hard work and personal dedication," Kelly said.

In the past, Claria's pop-up ad software has riled some users who claimed it was annoying, installed without permission, and not easy to delete. Publishers also were irked about pop-up ads for a rival's product appearing next to their own Web sites. Catalog retailer L.L. Bean sued Gator for alleged trademark infringement.

Claria's representative on the Homeland Security privacy board is company Vice President D. Reed Freeman, a former Federal Trade Commission staff attorney. Other members include executives from Intel, Computer Associates International, IBM, Oracle and the Cato Institute.

Kelly said Freeman will "bring his courage and conviction to the board, and will contribute productively--and constructively--to the board's and the public's dialogue on privacy and homeland security."

The committee is tasked with providing "external expert advice to the secretary and the chief privacy officer on programmatic, policy, operational and technological issues that affect privacy, data integrity and data interoperability."

In February 2003, Gator settled a high-profile case brought by The Washington Post, The New York Times, Dow Jones and other media companies. Terms of that deal were quiet, but Claria appears to have stopped delivering pop-ups to those publishers' sites. "

W. T. F.....

what is the world comming to nowadays... and speaking of popups, time to sett all my blockers to max blocking. why would they use gator/claria anyways, they were the ones "promoting" p2p useage such as kazaa. anyways down with them.

Theres a reason they do this though. I mean Kevin Mitnick now has his own top of line security company after being jailed for hacking, now hes preventing them.

Gator was stealing info and now they are trying to protect it.

It works this way because you have to know how people get in and get your info if you want to be able to protect it. A guy who just installs software and then says your computer is secure is most likely very wrong, you have to know how to get in before you can know how to stop others trying to get in.

It makes alot of sense why they do this if you just think about it.

reminds me of frank w. abagnale.  Stole millions by check fraud, then worked for the gov't against his "colleagues"

434831[/snapback]

Exactly. If you were once one then you know how they act and how they do it. You know who they are and how to get them. If the feds are gonna jail you and you offer to catch all of your buddies and get off easy then I'd sure as hell do it as long as I knew they werent getting out agian.

reminds me of frank w. abagnale.  Stole millions by check fraud, then worked for the gov't against his "colleagues"

434831[/snapback]

Stop watching movies with Leonardo DiCaprio (Catch me if you can)

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely correct, _Intense_.

Gator (now "Claria") IS STILL IN THE SPYWWARE BUSINESS!!!

And their horrid E-Wallet et al. is still hacking its way into the hearts of PC's worldwide--while they reap the ill-gotten gains from its malicious spying activities...

And now it appears that the master thieves are in charge of vault security. The fox now guards the henhouse.

Holy Sheet!!

PS. Mitnick quit breaking laws; these fools heven't. Therefore, these are two entirely different and utterly incomparable situations if you ask me.

Sounds like Claria has donated large sums to a few Republican Politicians' War Chests often enough to be granted Executive Favors to me.