Motherboard Fried By Ram

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the thing just fitted in normally, i felt that i didnt need to use force, just slid in

nah no black marks on my RAM, whats rma?

435664[/snapback]

return merchandise authorization. but umm. user error isn't covered under the warranty methinks :closedeyes:

lol i have always been worried about doing that, so i actually tried to stick my ram in backwards one day...and it wont latch down, so u must have magically ram and a magically mobo to get it to go in backwards lol but anyways RMA it, i blew up my corsair XMS pc3200 512mb module, due to a faulty refurb psu that my case manufacturer put in (and didnt state it was refurb) but it crapped out one day and destroyed my ram, and corrupted part of my hdd, so yeah i had to reformatt and rma my ram, just got my ram back last week and it is brand new module, im happy

Guest Jeremy

This same thing happened to me, but the RAM still worked. I just replaced the motherboard, and all te other parts were salvagable

• 10 months later...

Great thread guys, I laughed my t**s off and learned of a few possible explanations when rma-ing mobo and ram. :D

BTW, just how did you get your ram in the wrong way round? There's a lesson in this for everybody, don't try inserting ram using just feeling, make sure you can clearly see where it is going. I made this very mistake once and one of the contacts on the slot edge of the ram module fell off into the ram slot and kind of killed everything. I was moving the ram module from slot to slot checking for any bad slots using memtest and prior to the experiment had 1 potentially bad slot. After the experiment I had a dead mobo, 1 ruined half of a Corsair TWINX pair and hoping like hell they would replace everything under warranty. Phew, what a relief when they did! :) Well turns out that was a blessing in disguise because I've moved on to bigger and better things and am doing things for myself rather than call for assistance from my brother who's opinions on things are a little different than mine!