Hosting A Website

Parrothead

I have a small business that I'm creating a website for. I looked into having godaddy.com host it for me. I get 4gb of space for 3.49 a month - pretty cheap I think. However, besides space & price, what else should I be looking for when I'm comparing host companies?

you want to look at bandwidth, space, ease of support, supported server software, upgradability and there are other things but those are the main ones. I personally recommned catalog.com as that is where I have moved all my sites to since I no longer have my own servers to host my sites on.

i would not go with godaddy. the reason they don't charge very much is because they skimp on customer service.

433444[/snapback]

I've not had a single problem with GoDaddy support. I use them for all my domain registration as well as hosting.

In fact, I would highly recommend them.

check out www.1and1.com . i took advantage of a 3 year free plan they had, and im extremely happy with it being free. i saw an add the other day that said tey had a plan starting at like 5 bucks a month, and that aint bad. they also still have a 6 month "test drive". which i wouldnt think twice about taking advantage of.

Guest Jeremy

Just host it yourself, unless you'll be having an overwhelming amount of traffic.

If you're just gonna be hosting a small business website, you should be fine.

Things that you may want to look for is FTP access and email accounts. With a small business, you may be looking for multiple email accounts for your employees.

I use hostdeal. They give me unlimited email accounts, 4 gigs of space, 100 gigs of bandwidth per month and a lot of cool stuff with cpanel. It's reasonably priced, I recommend them.

check out www.1and1.com . i took advantage of a 3 year free plan they had, and im extremely happy with it being free. i saw an add the other day that said tey had a plan starting at like 5 bucks  a month, and that aint bad. they also still have a 6 month "test drive". which i wouldnt think twice about taking advantage of.

440241[/snapback]

I have a site with 1&1 and I like them. You don't have to sign up for a full year to try it out. My worst experience ever was StartLogic. They are a total ripoff IMO.