Sign in to follow this  
markiemrboo

I Have Given Up!

haha... good luck... i'm english and we have the worst (best?) drinking problem in the world... a nation of alcoholics and binge-drinkers...

i'm the latter... so you have next to no chance! :lol::P

i got drunk to the point of falling of my bunk bed ladder and passing out on the floor when i was 5, had my first pint at 10, bought my first six-pack on my own at 13, and failed my first year at uni largely because of booze and other things...

i think i'm prepared for a drinking contest! :D

Well here's the progress so far. Komplett have said they'll take back the CPU and test it, but they think it's unlikely to be the CPU and I may just need a BIOS update (I had the latest BIOS please!!!!).

Message from Customer Care:

It is unlikely to be the CPU, but we an take it back and test it.  It may be that updating the BIOS on your motherboard will resolve the problem.

Hope this helps.

The Neo2's had problems with Dual channel and Winchesters right? So maybe they thought I had a Neo2??? I hate it when like... I've decided it's probly the CPU and someone else says it's unlikely it's the CPU. It gets me confused :)

Well, anyway, i'll send the CPU back and have them test it I guess. If it tests alright I guess I will have to .. send the motherboard back and have them test that with a different CPU. If they say the board is ok... well, dunno what to do then!!!! Suppose I just have to insist it's the CPU :)

I'm gonna e-mail and ask just what their testing procedures are first though.

whats this issue with a neo2 and dual channel? any ways good luck gettin your A64 experience going again.

Actually, never mind everything. Forget it all. I just got PM'ed over at AOA and it's a common problem, A64's are incredibly picky about RAM??????? So i've got the board out, and indeed it boots with my brothers PC2700 ... crucial? can't remember really, anyway! It boots with that RAM and either stick of my BH-5. Sooo... urgh. Gonna have to buy some TCCD and hope for the best it seems. What's guaranteed TCCD?

G.Skill is gettting the highest OC action. OCZ Plat Rev.2 in 2nd place, along with PDP XBL and maybe PQI. Really, any TCCD on Brainpower PCB will do well, I just think the G.Skill is sorted and graded to go a little higher than the others.

Do any of you here actually think it's going to work properly with TCCD? What are your opinions? It boots dual channel with the PC2700 and either stick of BH-5.

I've seen Patriot XBL or whatever it is, PC3200 2-2-2-5 at PC3200. I've looked on xtremesystems forums and it seems that Patriot PC3200 is TCCD on the Brainpower PCB.. whatever that is. Should I go for that?

I would suggest getting the Gskill PC4400 LA (2-2-2-5) and yes if you have narrowed it down to the A64 not liking your ram then that ram is practically guarunteed to get you somewhere as long as your board and cpu mem controller can make the journey lol :)

Yeah, I've heard good things about the PDP/Patriot XBL. Talk to nrg, he's got that exact stuff. I'm well pleased with this OCZ, but it's price premium. :( My brother just picked up some G.Skill, it'll run 285+ HTT 1:1 no sweat.

There aint g.skill around the UK. The best I can find is probably that Patriot stuff, which is why I asked how it was :P Seems to be guaranteed TCCD so I think I will go for it I suppose, and if nrg has it it can't be that bad cause his A64 works!!!

And no I aint sure it's a compatibility issue :( I'm taking wild guesses here. My luck I will get the RAM and it still wont work properly :(

I haven't heard of TCCD being less compatible than other chips, so it would certainly minimize or negate the compatibility issue.

Eek. Well, I just bought it. My cousin wants a computer building so dad suggested he has my motherboard+cpu+1gb bh-5. Suits me. Should get me my money back hopefully!! Otherwise.. well.. i'm screwed :D

Delivery date for the RAM was still by tomorrow, special delivery.. so I expect i'll be back here tomorrow whining that it don't work, sorry guys :D!! lol.. that's if I don't crash on my first drive to Uni tomorrow (I passed me test yesterday!!!)