Newb To Ocing

I just tried OCing for the first time today, but i switched back to default settings becuase my current setup can't handle the temp. im working on fixing that right now (look in the cooling forum), but in the mean time i have a few questions. Which is better to increase, multiplier or FSB? in my BIOS it says for fsb #/# (e.g. 180/36). what does the bottom number mean? what is the limit to which you can puch a processor? what is AGP aperture size? i dont know anything about memory timeings and if i need to adjust them for overclocking, so help there would be appreciated. if there is a good article on overclocking, that would be great, i know this is alot of questions, but this is my first time. and i'll probably have more later on

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a better question is what is your cpu and motherboard AMD or Intel, Ram Type, try cpu-z and show us a picture.

this all is helpful if you want some ocing help

btw AGP aperture size should be set to how much ram is on your grafix card, if its a 64mb card set it to 64, 128 than 128 so forth, if its less than the cards memory it wont use the extra ram.

Edited by hornybluecow

Well, you can start off by listing your specs. We do have a guide on overclocking, but it is kind of out-dated. It is best to raise the fsb. A raise in fsb is more of a true increase in performance compared to an increased multiplier. The higher you run the fsb, the more bandwith your ram/cpu will have. Agp aperature size depends on your card. If you have a 256mb card, set it lower, if you have 128 or 64, set it higher. It is basically saying how much system memory your comp can use if you vid memory is filled.

36 is AGP and you should lock it to 33MHz. Push the FSB until you don't boot properly then lower it in increments. Aperture size I believe is if your card is say 128MB or 256MB

Hope this helps

Edited by TechFreak

there is a pic of CPU-Z attached to this post, first tab. if you need more let me know

edit: i don't beleive there is a AGP/PCI lock on my mobo. does that mean i need a new mobo if i want to overclock?

Edited by climberdude

no lock no go, sorry kid, you can go about 10fsb higher than your hdds and pci cards start frying, and so forth, maybe upgrade to a AMD64 if your going to get a new board, $50 MB and $100 for CPU, good deals

unless your Mutiplyer is unlocked, but you have to ask someone else about that for Xp chips i have no idea

Edited by hornybluecow

Hello, welcome, etc. I cant OC and im in these forums... The pencil trick is using a pencil to unlock your multiplyer, here is a link.

Most mobos' agp/pci can be locked (i think), so just look a nice one up on newegg/other online stores, and post it here for people to tell you if its go or no go.

I looked at that line and it says T-Bird, duron unlocking, but i have a barton core. i dont know if that changes things. i was thinking about upgrading to a 64 anyway, and was wondering if they OC nicely? i'll definately make sure to get a agp/pci lockable board if i do upgrade