Overclocking Questions

First,

How do you overclock Ram? I have Corsair XMS PC3200 (2x512mb). Is it worth it to overclock it?

Second,

You say that a 24 run of Prime95 is a good measure of stability. How do you go 24 hours w/o using your computer? Or can you let Prime95 run in the background?

I've got my X800 Pro overclocked to speeds greater than an XT PE and I'm going to overclock my cpu a little little bit (up to a 3400+ probably). I'm kind of using 3DMark05 as my overall benchmark, no matter what i tweak. Is that a good program for testing overall performance. B/c i'm mainly doing this for gaming anyway.

Let me know! Thanks.

Edited by fishtankfish

ram: go into your bios, increase the FSB

p95: i know its hard, you can do it (go without computer for 24 hours) or just continue to use your computer

x800:maybe loop 3DMark05 a few times, but that should be a sufficient bench for your card

1. Pretty much. Raise the FSB, and depending on the chips used in the RAM, add voltage to help stability.

2. Run Memtest86+ (runs from a floppy) to check the RAM for errors. If the RAM is getting flaky, you'll know about it soon enough in Windows. Also run 3D benchmarks and Super_Pi (calculate 32M places-if you can pass this you're on the right track).

3. Sure it's worth it to OC new RAM. Not all RAM is created equal though, so be prepared for mixed results.

4. If you overvolt RAM too much you can kill it. I don't think you can kill it by simply asking it to run faster, because if you ask it to run faster than it wants to you'll just get errors or it won't post.

you have the same ram and socket, just do what i did if you want it to a 3400+

you'll know if your rams oc to much, it usally reboots during windows start up or just afterwards, i found that ram can do 240mhz with 3-3-3-8, but if you set the divider to 166 and add to your HTT you will have 2.4ghz with 2-2-2-5 trimmings b/c your ram will be at 200, well almost 200 ([email protected] gives your 200) but than your cpu wil be at 2.5ghz which is when it need some extra volts (1.6) and a better cooler. it reboots on me once i open cpuz at 2.5ghz

Edited by hornybluecow

i wuold run 03, then 05, thats what i did for my OC, i honestly didnt care if 05 crashed too, i mean, i have crashed in 05, and ran 03 fine, and i havent crashed my comp since.....(about 2 months)

ram: go into your bios, increase the FSB

p95: i know its hard, you can do it (go without computer for 24 hours) or just continue to use your computer

x800:maybe loop 3DMark05 a few times, but that should be a sufficient bench for your card

431290[/snapback]

I've heard that if you can run Prime 95 for an hour or so there is a good chance you're fine and won't have instability problems. How accurate do you think that is?

Guest Silenc3
I've heard that if you can run Prime 95 for an hour or so there is a good chance you're fine and won't have instability problems.  How accurate do you think that is?

432989[/snapback]

Not accurate att all.

Testing for Stability has to be Prime at least 24 hrs. If it crashes at all before then you have an unstable PC