Lcd Tv To Nvidia 6800gt? How Will The Quality Be?

vektorious

Hi, I came here because after hours of searching, I have found no answer to a very important question. I have just recieved my check from google(adsense program) and it is enough for the LCD TV I want to buy. The TV I am looking to buy is a 26" sharp LCD TV with DVI/HDMI and a lot more inputs. The current video card on my PC is the nvidia 6800 gt, and it has DVI out. My question is what is the difference between an LCD TV and an LCD Monitor? Will I have performance issues with an LCD TV like ghosting, etc and all the other problems that come with LCD monitors? Also, will I have problems displaying my PC on my LCD TV. I have read about overscan, flicker etc. Are those problems only confined to CRT displaying a digital signal(pc signal)??? I want to buy this TV ASAP, but before I do, I want to make sure that this TV will display my PC's signal well. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a TV that will not display my PC's signal well. I have read the reviews on CNET, and it is the highest rated LCD tv on that site. It says the image quality is the best out of any LCD and that it is the best LCD available.

Here are the specifics :

26" Sharp LCD TV(link with specs)

ZDNet 32 inch model review of the LCD I want.

That is the TV, I also will need to know what type of DVI cable I will need.

I am really worried that if I buy this TV, that gaming on it will not be as good as my current CRT. I currently have my TV(crt) and my monitor (crt) side by side, and it takes up so much room. Thats why I want to mount this LCD up on the wall, with my mouse and keyboard in front of it, and have one monitor instead of 2. I don't want to pay a lot of money for an LCD TV that can't display my PC signal as good as an LCD monitor...... I need to know so your replies would be appreciated. I figured that an LCD TV would have less ghosting etc because it is made for moving images(cable, dvd's, etc) is this true.....

So to take all these questions, and put it into one question, Will displaying my PC's signal on a HIGH-DEF LCD TV with DVI input have good quality for gaming on my PC.

-vektor.

Edited by vektorious

flicker does not apply to lcd's... overscan isn't a problem... it may overscan a tiny bit, but it's more likely to display right to the edge (neither under- nor overscan)... edit: i see the review quotes a 2% overscan which means only about 14 pixels vertical and 25 pixels horizontal will be beyond the visible part of the screen... not sure if this applies to a digital input tho since i would have thought if you match the output on your 6800 to the native rez of the screen it would just display pixel-for-pixel

the main issue that you need to look into is if the lcd tv in question has different latencies for TV and VGA modes... all the lcd tvs i have looked at so far have a different latency for each mode, typically 16ms for TV mode and 25ms for VGA mode... this would more than likely result in ghosting whilst gaming...

so, my advice is, check the latencies for VGA mode are decent (<= 16ms) if they are actually different to the TV mode

you can get DVI-DVI or DVI-HDMI cables, so that's not really an issue

er....I wish I knew where to find that information!! On the sharp website it doesn't show the those rates....Do you think if I called sharp up my self, they could give me that info?

What would you reccomend, DVI-DVI or DVI - HDMI ? I think I am very close to making my purchase!!

Edited by vektorious

all i can find is < 16ms for the response... i don't know if there is any difference between DVI-DVI and DVI-HDMI since the signals are both digital afaik and not subject to degradation apart from noise induced only by severe EMI interference which is almost impossible unless you have something like a vacuum cleaner or microwave next to your computer/display