First Camera

invidious

my cousin suggested i get a cannon powercolor SD200 with a 512mb card. he has a SD300 and claims there is little difference from the SD200. ive found the cam for about $275 online.

i dont know anything about cameras yet. so im wondering is cannon a reputable brand? this a good card? is this a good price? do i need a 512mb memory card?

ive never really been a "pictures person" but it seems like something cool to get into, and this cam seems portable and sleek.

the short answer is canon is a very good camera company. In my very biased opinion the best. objectively speaking they and nikon are the two best digital camera makers, especially in the consumer level market. a 512 card sounds overkill It will probably hold well over 200 shots at max res, and many more if set it to a slightly lower res. And if you aren't planning on printing the image on a wall poster you don't need to shoot at max res.

as to if it's the camera for you, it's important to know what you want out of it? If ultra compactness important then it might be the right camera. canon just came out with the a510 it's a little cheaper, has pretty much the same features as more for beginers, also has more manual controls. however its slightly bigger and while pretty compact, it won't slip into your pocket quite as easily.