3.0 P4c Or 3500 A64

invidious

i know hands down the A64 3500 is a much better cpu. my question is this, is it worth updating my mobo and ram on my current p4 setup or should i just go for an A64. Currently i have an IS7 which OC's ok, isnt very stable tho. and some generic ram that doesnt OC at all.

With say an IC7 MaxIII and some nice low latency ram, can i OC to a point that makes this 3.0 worth keeping?

if not i would be doing a complete change over to AMD later this summer, whereas the new mobo and ram for the p4 could be done relatively soon. most likely just gunna wait and go all out for A64, unless you guys think is worth it to upgrade.

Edited by invidious

This really depends on your cashflow, as you say, the A64 is better and as you are going to change anyway it would be ridiculous to buy a new board for the P4 just for a few months. In your position I would wait save up a couple of extra bucks and the price will have dropped again a few times by mid summer.

With a 3.0 i would have stayed P4 a little longer, but my 2.66 with 533 FSB was killing me, so here i am wiht a 3000+ and happy, so idk what i would do really, how long would it take you to get the extra cash saved up? If your looking at 2 months then wait and get the 64 stuff for sure if its gonna take a logn tiem then maybe a lesser upgrade is right for you.

This really depends on your cashflow, as you say, the A64 is better and as you are going to change anyway it would be ridiculous to buy a new board for the P4 just for a few months. In your position I would wait save up a couple of extra bucks and the price will have dropped again a few times by mid summer.

429967[/snapback]

if i upgrade to the new mobo and ram now i wouldnt be getting the A64 system, i would just get a high end agp vid card for this p4 system in the summer.

also i hav the money to get a new p4 mobo and the ram now, but im concerned how long this 3.0 with the upgrades will last me. like u said getting this upgrade only to hav to upgrade again in a few months would be pointless.

another thing is that i need a new vid card either way, my 9800pro has constant artifacts reguardless of OC. am i correct in my undestanding that currently PCIe is not any better than AGP?

keep in mind i wouldnt be getting a x850 pe here, id be getting a 6800GT most likely, maybe a 6800U or x800XT if prices drop. so for these cards does PCIe vs AGP matter?

right now im leaning towards keeping my 3.0c, so can anyone suggest a high end P4 OC board? IC7 max2 or max3 are wut im thinking.

high end P4 air heatsink too

Edited by invidious

im more of an amd guy so cant help u choose a oc board for the p4 ,

u should stay with the p4 btw unless as mentioned ,Cashflow.

try selling ur rig thoe ,u might make enuf $ to get the amd and be done,

and pci-e is like comparin 4x agp to 8x ,but a benefit of pci-e would be that u might get a ok card cheaper than Agp price.

and pci-e might benefit on some weird apps/ designing i guess since it has double bandwith

Edited by Enyce2k9

If you already HAVE the 3.0, then I would keep it..for now. It should serve you well for a long time. And you'd have that much extra to spend on a really good AGP card. AGP's not quite dead yet. ATI announced it is planning on contining production of AGP cards with a new release of an 850 based AGP card

Unless you're buying a new chip, then I would get an FX.

The Max2 takes up to PC4000 RAM, where the Max3 I believe will take higher.

Also, 276Mhz/1:1 is REALLY pushing a Max2 where, I've seen Max3's go up to 295.