X800xt Pe Temps

xPETEZx

Hi,

I have an Sapphire ATi Radeon X800XT PE VIVO with ATi Silencer 4 on it.

as of today I noticed a starnge jump up in temps.

I used to idel around 35-40 and my CPU with an XP-90 + 92mm Panflow Fan ideled around the same, so I assumed that this was the coldest it would get in my case.

Anyways, today I noticed a huge jump in Idel temps of my X800, went up from 35-40 to 50-52!!!

My Load Temp using the ATi Tool scan for artifacts was 65-70, so I ran it just now for 1 hour, and my maX temp was 60!!

Now, im wondering, whats goin on? How come my Idele temp has gone UP a good 10 Degress, and my full load gone down 5-10??

Whats a good Full load GPU test btw? I found that using the ATi tool test for artifacts gets my GPU the hottest.

After running all the 3D Marks + AM3, it only gets up to about 55-57~

Also, yesterday, I noted something very strange, me and a few mates decide to play an Old OLD Game! Moster Truck Maddness 2!

Note this Game is ANCENT! And the MAX resolution it supporst is 640 x 480! @ 24 bit colour!

Now this souldent strees my Card at all! (or so I thought!)

Now after bout 30 mins of playing this, we decide to try a game mode where its all black, and about 2 mins into playing this, my MBM5 alarm for HIGH GPU temps comes on! Saying GPU is at 83 Deg!! So I Quit the Game ASAP! and open the Case to touch the HSF, and sure enough, its far too hot to touch!

Now, im thinkin, how can a 5-6 yr old game, that didnt even need a 3d card, make one of the fastest cards out today hit 83 degrees?

Anyways, any ideas as to why my Idel hass gone UP and my LOAD has gone down?

And what sorta temps are other ppl with X800's & ATi Silencer 4's getting?

Thanks!

Edited by xPETEZx

Woah that's a strange one!! Is the fan still running on the silencer, yeah??? Maybe it's a bit dusty or something? Get some compressed air and spray it :D I recently did this on my heatsink and dust went EVERYWHERE! Temps dropped a good 10C ...

Woah that's a strange one!! Is the fan still running on the silencer, yeah??? Maybe it's a bit dusty or something? Get some compressed air and spray it :D I recently did this on my heatsink and dust went EVERYWHERE! Temps dropped a good 10C ...

429874[/snapback]

That was my first worry, that the fan had stopped! But nope, was still going strong!

Then I though mayb dust, so cleaned it out too, and there was hardly any in there.

Made no diffrence :wacko:

I even tried setting the Fan at 100% using ATi Tool, but this done nothing :wacko:

Made NO diffrence in temps whatsoever ... :wacko:

Realy beats me whats goin on :(

But I guess as long as it stays below 70 Im happy :)

I've heard of this happening on the X800s. Try reseating the Silencer and reapplying the AS5. Make sure you use just a very thin layer.

430004[/snapback]

Just done that :)

The only thing that beats me is, how come my Idel temp has gone UP, and my load temp gone DOWN???

How can this happen? Surely they would either BOTH go up or down?

Is there any background application that uses rhe GPU? Mayb I have one of those running and am unaware of it?

It passes the "touch test" :P

I can reach down and touch the HSF, its Warm, but not hot.

btw, how accurate ARE the temp sensors on the X800?

I call Probe, Be sure on those temps software is almost never right.

430431[/snapback]

YEa, I think its time for a Probe :P

Ill try pick one up in the next week or so :)

any recomendations? (UK sites plz)

The factory temp diodes on the X800 are actually accurate. They are much more accurate than any motherboard. I checked them once against my DT200 and they were within about 1-3 degrees. They seem to go a bit funky at real low temps though.

I would check the AS5, it can do very funny things when it gets real cold or hot. It could be a bad mount, rise in abmient, etc...

The factory temp diodes on the X800 are actually accurate.  They are much more accurate than any motherboard.  I checked them once against my DT200 and they were within about 1-3 degrees.  They seem to go a bit funky at real low temps though.

I would check the AS5, it can do very funny things when it gets real cold or hot.  It could be a bad mount, rise in abmient, etc...

430508[/snapback]

Ok.

Ill re-check the mount + Artic Silver on wednesday, busy today & 2morro.

Hopefully that will help lower the temps back down!

(its happening right now again, just booted up, and my CPU is only at 33, but GPU is already up at 46 :wacko: system has only been on for like 3 mins... ambeit about 27)

EDIT:

Hate to double post, but im realy stumped as what to do :(

I booted up this morning, and put on WMP + MSN, then went off to do some work.

Look over at the X800's temp, and it was up at 52 Deg C within 10-15 mins of boot (Cpu only hit 37 in this time)

Then I deicded to check real time gaming temp by using ATi tool to feed temps to MBM 5 then placing the Dashboard on monitor #2

So I started up HL2 : DM, and the GPU temp was Still 52...

Then I started to play, and after about 2 mins play the temp was down to 51, then after a further 5 mins, it was down to 50! It then stuck around 50 till I quit 30-40 mins later.

I let the Ram Clear and waited for the HArd Drive to quiet down before I opened up FireFoX, this took eXesively long, and while doing so both my monitors cut out for 2 seoncds, then came back on, with a message saying that the VPU recovery had reset the VPU as it had stopped resonponding.

So I sent the report of to ATi.

Now system had ideled agin for bout 5 mins, and the GPU had went BACK up to 52 Deg!!!

Now I though these temps must be a load of BS.

But the air comin out the back was pretty warm

So I opend the case, and the copper base of the Ati Silencer 4 was very warm, not hot that I had to pull my finger back right away, but warm enough for it to be uncomfortable to touch.

Now my question is, could my GPU be doing something in the background?

Is there ANY programs that run in the background that utelise the GPU?

Thanks in advance!

(btw, I just RE-Applied AS5, cleaned it all off, and put new stuff on, Idel is still jumpin up to 46-50 :( :( )

Edited by xPETEZx