Mobo Or Windows?

Weird weird problems...

This is my first build so i am a retard...

Gigabyte 8IP775G - 775

p4 press 2.8 HT

350 PSU Powmax

512MB (2x256) kingston dual channel

NVidia GeForce 5600 MadDog

CLabs Audigy

The problems are with the keyboards and mice i try to use. It started with USB mouse/kb combo (soyo, cheap) and ive attempted to use various other PS/2 and USB devices with no luck.

The Prob:

The computer will only recognize the kb/mice for only a certain, not same period of time. After that the keyboard will either cease to work or keystrokes will cause the computer to freeze. It is not related to a running program because it worked fine for about a day. It was only after i attempted to update drivers that the problems began to happen. Any ideas???

It is probably the drivers in some form or fashion but i have no idea how to remove drivers manually, or if i do ive forgotten it. Windows Xp Home also acts a little odd when plugging in the soyo keyboard, it says its not recognized.

Thx in advance

Bleh readin some more posts and now i think its the PSU but i would really rather hear otherwise so please... anything other than would be nice :P

Edited by Onyks

Go back to a ps/2 mouse and keyboard till you can troubleshoot this problem because

a ps/2 should work no matter what because they dont need drivers. Now if it starts ok and goes into Windows and the keyboard and mouse work but then stop working after a while then you have a heat problem. Probably the Cpu. Did you get a boxed Cpu with a Fan?

Im having the same problem with my usb mouse, for some reason when I swith mouses the new one works, then when that one stops I switch back and that one works. That might be a temporary solution for you until you find out what the problem is.

Here's somthing else I did one time and it fixed a keyboard problem (ps/2)

I removed the battery for like 5 mins replaced then reset (short 2/3 on jumper) cmos then it worked fine-- just a shot in the dark though ;)

I was about to clear CMOS just for the heck of it thinkin it may work.

But if the drivers are corrupt how do i remove the drivers? im aware of the rollback and uninstall features in windows but they dont show up because windows only recognizes the mouse/kb as "unknown USB device"

It is NOT psu (unplugged everything not needed) and should not be motherboard, i forgot to mention that this is a new build, the mobo is very new and it worked fine last night. Its some weird settings that have been changed by an app or by me in bios. either that or drivers.

ty for input plz keep it comin ill post when/if i figure it out. Ill join the OCC community if i can ever get this computer goin :)

wow... now windows wont even open and the "pick a safe mode" screen comes up. after picking any of the options it begins to load and then freezes.

This is getting more and more weird as I go... im soooo about to reformat and reinstall windows. Thats if clearing CMOS doesnt work.

I made no changes and installed only the drivers and a few applications that came with the mobo and dvd drives. well and mozilla firefox.

__

also the ps/2 and USB kb/mice all work during bios... its once windows is entered the "unknown countdown to screwup" begins

and my whole world comes crashing down :(

ok, cmos has been reset and it still is screwed up

it will not load the Maxtor MaxBlast CD to reformat the HDD and just redo the whole deal.

it worked fine... now im just horribly confused. If it were drivers would that make the system have to start in safe mode??? something a bit worse than all that is wrong i do believe.

this is where i call tech support and get laughed at by some GB or Maxtor rep. lol thx guys