Find The Bottleneck!

spathalogic

Which system component is bottlenecking performance the greatest?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which system component is bottlenecking performance the greatest?

• Athlon XP 2500+ processor
    • Radeon 9800 XT 256mb video card
    • 1024mb Corsair "value" ram
    • Abit NF7 Motherboard
    • Aspire 500w Power supply
    • Chicken nugget

The chicken nugget will no longer bother you. I took care of that little critter *yum yum* :D

I'd probably say an A64 would do some good, just... make sure you have a good PSU! I'm currently having to run a seperate generic PSU dedicated to my graphics card :(

I'm not sure that the AXP is actually bottlenecking that graphics card though? I only saw a 10-20fps difference in CS stress test and about 800 points in 3dmark03 with a 6800nu .. went from an NF7 and 2600+

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10-20FPS can make all the difference :); I think thats quite a large gain. Most of my slow downs in World of Warcraft are around 20/25FPS, so an additonal 10-20 would be great (30-45FPS slowdowns, OH NOES!)

The ram is safely at 2.5-3-3-7, which isnt abominable for Le Chee-AP ram.

I could probabally OC this processor to hell and back (gotten 2.5ghz before) and It'd survive, but my shatty case needs to be replaced- it's relatively small (mid-tower ATX) and I'm a big guy so I want a full-tower ATX so I do not have "space issues." :P Also, it is lacking in the "fan holes" area; I dont really feel like going through the hassle of modding it anyway.

If you're wondering whats on my "To get" list, monitor and case wise:

Viewsonic G90FB Monitor (blk, retail)

Cooler Master Stacker Case (blk, retail)

EDIT: Also, if anyone wants to help me hunt for a motherboard + CPU + heatsink, please do so. Probabally would like some kind of A64 variant + xp 120 + compatible motherboard (PC3200), AGP 8x, 5+ PCI cards, and of course, highly recommended and reliable :). I'll be looking too, I guess I'll start looking at the XP 120 compatibility charts.

So far, I have found:

MSI "K8N Neo-FSR" NVIDIA nForce3 Motherboard skt. 754

AMD Athlon 64 2800+ "Newcastle" processor skt. 754

Thermalright XP-120 Heatsink

Does it look good?

Edited by Instag0

I voted for the chicken nugget just because duh lol we should all know by now the main bottleneck of that system is the cpu/mobo. The ram is a so-so because sometimes you can get lucky and get good OCing value ram like I did on my old 2500+ system. I would suggest this as your upgrades.

A64 3200+(s939, winnie)

MSI Neo2 platinum mobo(I suggest this board since you have an AGP video card. If you got a PCI-E card then I would suggest the MSI Neo4 plat. or DFI lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-D)

Gskill PC4400 LE or LA revisions

Well... I cant find many recommended motherboards for the 939 that support an XP-120 except for one, but its $10 shy of $200.00 :(. I really cant afford to pay ~$400.00 for an XP120+fan + 3200+ 939/mobo. Could I just go with the 3000+? I should be able to OC it to 3200 speeds.

nforce 3 - go with the msi ne2

nforce 4 - go with the dfi lanparty

Oh, and the dfi lanparty UT nforce3 is socket 754 nerm, and I wouldnt recommend that (i've had my socket 754 for umm 4-5 months, and I am already upgrading)

nforce 3 - go with the msi ne2

nforce 4  - go with the dfi lanparty

Oh, and the dfi lanparty UT nforce3 is socket 754 nerm, and I wouldnt recommend that (i've had my socket 754 for umm 4-5 months, and I am already upgrading)

429832[/snapback]

Byron, I know the lanparty UT nf3 is a s754 but there is also a lanparty UT nf4 which is s939.

Oops I get what you mean I posted the nf3 UT as an option with a winnie chip hahaha thanks byron. I can't believe I did that. :)