Dvi Output To Hdtv

Joey04

I am using the DVI output from my Radeon 9800 Pro to drive an HDTV as a monitor. However the most resolution it will let me set (under Display Properties -> Settings) is 640 x 480 pixels.

My HDTV is a 16x9 / 1080i, which I think should be able to produce 1920x1280 pixels. The slider under "screen resolution" simply wont slide to the right, and is stuck on the far left at 640x480.

Does anyone know, do I need a special driver to get it to recognize my HDTV?

Thanks,

Joey

go to the displays tab of ATi Control Panel...

control panel > display > settings > advanced > displays

press the power button for the 2nd monitor to enable it...

go back to the settings tab of displays

control panel > display > settings

click on the [2] display and then on "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor"... then you can set the rez... you might be able to set it before enabling the desktop extension feature... but anyway, i did this and then i could open up a video file on my main monitor, drag it to my projector, and then double click it to make it fullscreen... didn't really play around with it much more since this is what i was trying to do...

Ok, when I go into Advanced Properties, and under Displays, I have a monitor that is 1280x1024, 60 Hz, with Display button 2 pressed. (This must be my PC monitor)

I also have an "FPD" which is 640x480, 60 Hz, with button one pressed. (This must be my HDTV)

By the way, Display 2 (my monitor) is my default monitor, and works fine. I also have the HDTV as a windows extension in Display 1, but it is only 640x480

I click the "FPD Properties". It tells me:

Display Name: Sony TV

Max Supported Res: 1920x1080

Max Refresh Rate, 60 Hz

Scale image to panel size is checked

So apparently it is recognized.

Now for drivers, I go to the Device Manager, and go to

Display Adapter -> RADEON 9800 PRO -> Properties,

and I have the ATI driver dated 8/25/2004. This is for the video card.

However, under monitors, it just looks like it has the default Microsoft drivers. Is there a special driver for the HDTV that is not part of the video card?

Thanks so much!!!!

Joey

i'm guessing the HDTV isn't active and is limited to 640x480, 8-bit?

it's a bit different with me, cos my link is DVI-VGA on my projector so it comes up as a 2nd CRT...

basically i use desktop extension to make two separate displays (2nd one shows background, no icons) confirm with [identify] that you have two separate displays... then i can set my rez at 1024x768 (the native) for my projector... i also set it as projector mode within the Displays > Advanced > Display > (specific display properfies)

also, 9800pro does two 16:9 rez's:

*16:9 aspect ratio monitors are supported on 1920x1080 and 848x480 on Windows