Sticky So Hard To Come By Here

gravy

i have been here a good while now, and have notced that it seems the only threads that get a "sticky" or "pinned" status are threads started by admin's or a select few [email protected] contest threads

i have seen MANY great posts, like Bigred's how to upgrade major components without re-installing windows thread, which helped me and saved me a HUGE amount of time and it would be nice if posts like this would be more easily made sticky

i think people put too much emphasis on the "search" button sometimes, if we would come up with a way to sticky posts more easily, people, especially new ones wouldn't have to spend 30 minutes searching around for helpful information

honestly, with the amount of mods and admin's here, you could easily give anyone, or maybe members of a year or more the ability to make their OWN thread sticky, and then if a mod or admin decided it wasn't appropriate for a "pinned" status, you could easily take the sticky off the post, pretty sure if the permission was only given to long standing members it would not get abused, but at least the best that OCC members have to offer would be more easily accessible and more quickly too

just an idea, but i think i have seen many requests for making a helpful thread sticky go unanswered, i am used to going to another fourm board and seeing 10 sticky threads at the top of every subcategory, and it's nice, if i am new to a site or topic, i will take the time to go through the sticky threads first, and many times will find what i am looking for without even having to post or get flamed for not "googling" or using the "search" button.........why make it harder than it has to be?

What we don't need is 10 stickey threads in each forum. It takes up to much space. If you see a good thread, that coveras a commonly asked question then add it or a link to the FAQ. Thats why those threads are there for.

We've proven time and time again though that even if we sticky a thread, call it a FAQ, read first, or important that it still gets used as often as the search does.