Noisecontrol Magic Fleece?

I was talking to my brother and saying... you know why dont we just cover the whole inside of the case with rubber? I mean, the comp is water cooled so there isnt much heat projected on the inside and afterall there is fans running on the top (3 120mm..) blowing upward and heat rises so most of the heat will go out there... so the heat insulation of this wouldnt cause much trouble (which was his original defense). Then we couldnt figure out why not to do it, but decided we were probably ignorant and something was sure to messup and fry the whole computer.

then i was like... whoa looky here! Fleece!!. look at the price though, $50... and its specific for those cases? I have a Xaser III im wondering would it fit in this case too? the mentioned cases are server chasis, as is mine..... so the size is right isnt it? Would it work, or would i just be better off buying a 1/2-1inch thick huge peice of rubber and custom cutting it to fit the case and then gluing it onto the inside?

I've tried a couple different sound deadening materials... I HAVE NOT tried the one mentioned above...

I've found that really don't work that well... You need to find the sources of noise and eliminate them....

Silent fans running at slower speeds, mounted with rubber washers, hard drives mounted with rubber, or better yet suspended, quiet PSU's with quiet fans, etc. etc.

there is a fine balance between excellent cooling and silence...

I have a couple PC's that you cannot hear at all......

but they are not overclocked...too high ;) and they run a bit warm (around 50c) but WELL within the CPU specs and have been running like this 24/7 for several months now....

my main rig is water cooled (read...extra dollars) with larger fans (larger, ie: 120mm fans spin slower so they are quieter) no 80 mm fans here! and a larger radiator for better heat disapation....

this rig is almost silent... but I can run it 24/7 at volatges that are far over spec....

so I guess my rambling just says that in my opinion, you need to go to the source...

large, slower fans (i love panaflo) mounted well, running at low voltage, etc. etc...

not try and cover up the problem, it just doesn't seem to work

hmm suspended HD? like hang rubber wires from the screw holes and then suspend the harddrive in the air >< heheh i can see this, i wonder if it'll work : ) . i already have watercooling, all silent fans, a silent PSU (all of the fans/PSU are guaranteed 11dBa or i can return them and get a new one etc.etc.... from 2ft away...) and well whats left? harddrive and water pump? that is an interesting idea for silencing the harddrive :) anyone have any opinions on how well it'll work

Yep...

Here is an article regarding this:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page1.html

is your water pump on a cushion of foam? all fans mounted with rubber washers?

Some people use zip ties instead of screws so there is no direct contact to the case...

check out the site above and go through their forums... there are some really anal people ;) when it comes to silence....

you just need to try and decide the priority and then balance accordingly

silence vs. cooling