Zalman Fan Mod

cbk04

i have a zalman 7700 cu (120mm fan) and it is pluged in the way the directions from zalman said to configure it with the fan controller that came with it, well when i first got it i didnt put the controller on at all, and i just had it plugged straight into the cpu fan header on the mobo. configured like that it was runngin aroun 1800 rpm. i then put the fan controller on it to see if i could get more rpms out of it, and when i installed the controller i can only top out the fan at around 1675-1690rpm (it is sittin at 1679 right now).

the two main issues are:

1. i have heard that trying to keep powering this 120mm fan off the mobo header would burn the header up since they are meant to run 80mm and smaller.

2. i want to be able to get the 2000 rpm rated (give or take 10% (that is about where i was when the fan was plugged directly into the header) )

so does anyone have a clue how i can run zalman fan off the psu and still plug into the mobo so i can monitor the speed?

i have been told i need to mod a 3-pin to 4-pin plug so that i have another wire plugged into the mobo to monitor the speed

yeah that is the real reason i was gonna buy it cuz i am a perfectionist when it comes to things like that, so it looking bad would work my last nerve lol, i may try to make one tomm morning sometime after i go get gt4 (YAY!!!!)

1. i have heard that trying to keep powering this 120mm fan off the mobo header would burn the header up since they are meant to run 80mm and smaller.

426738[/snapback]

Not to hijack or anything, but is it true that mobo fan headers will burn out with anything larger than 80mm? Cuz if that's the case, then I think I should be a bit worried since I have 92mm fan on the CPU header, and I just put two 120mm fans on the other two fan headers on the mobo (they both seem to be working fine and I've had the 92mm on there for quite a few months now). I have the third 120mm hooked up to a molex connector, so I'm not too worried about that one.