Overclocking/benchmarking Ram

hey all,

so i always see people in their signatures have four or five (somewhere in there) numbers after the memory first off i assume those are benchmarks, but how do you get those numbers?

thanks

- legit

those are latency, which is set in the bios. The lower the better. The higher overclock you have, the more you have to raise those numbers, so if somebody has a high overclock and low latencies it is a feather in their cap. Value Ram has high latencies like 3-4-4-8, but expensive ram with TCCD and BH-5 chips have low latencies like 2-2-2-5

Guest Silenc3

This being sort of really off topic, but the question has been answered already, With my OC' I score 5700 in '05, Now this is with really crapped ram (3-4-4-8) How big of a boost would U think I'd get from getting some TCCD Ram.

tccd ram would help with overclocks, but it wont help performance much, if any, with intel procs.  Athlon 64s, on the other hand, perform (much?) faster with lower latencies.

426615[/snapback]

Actually, TCCD works great on Intels. Mine ran 283 FSB 3-4-3-7, 250 FSB 2.5-3-3-7, 225 FSB 2-3-2-6, 220 FSB 2-2-2-5 on my IC7. I think I still had room at the top end too.

Before the OCZ guys swapped me out for TCCD, I was using PC4000 Gold Rev. 1 and getting 257 FSB 2.5-4-4-7, 283 FSB 3-4-4-8.

AMD's benefit from lower latency more than Intel's do. That is why Samsung trying to force everyone to go DDR2 is very bad for AMD and I wouldn't be surprised if Intel didn't have a hand in that :) lol.

Of course lower latencies always = higher OCs
Lower latencies=Higher bandwidth, not necessarily higher OC. Intel's may be arguably less dependent on super low latencies at stock, but it helps them just as much as it helps an AMD. Low latencies are critical on Athlon XP however, and I would imagine that's because most Athlon XP's can never hit the front side bus speed to compensate for higher latencies.

Yeah, you're probably right Nerm. The shadowy hand of Intel seems to be behind many things.