Amd Dual Core

As we all know by now, both AMD and Intel are coming out with dual core processors, the Toledo and Smithfield, respectively.

According to this article, an AMD spokeperson said that the Toledo will have a thermal cap of 110 watts, which is higher than AMD's current wattage (around 80-90 watts). Now, that is around the same wattage as the stock 3.6GHz P4.

According to this article, Intel's Smithfield will be producing wattage in the range of 130W.

I wonder what the Intel stock heatsink is going to look like...........

BTW, the new Smithfields will debut at clock speeds of 2.8GHz, 3.0GHz, and 3.2GHz. Not too far from AMD's currently fastest chip, the FX-55 (2.6GHz) and the upcoming FX-57 (2.8GHz) based on the San Diego core. Guess AMD is finally making some headway in disproving Intel's "higher GHz is better" myth.

Edited by kashk5

Intel just focuses on upping the FSB and core speed instead of improvising the core to run more efficiently(by that, I mean with low temps as well). AMD has focused for quite a while on efficient cores.

426068[/snapback]

why dont we just all run Itaniums...i mean crap....130watts is what they output....sh#t

why dont we just all run Itaniums...i mean crap....130watts is what they output....sh#t

426595[/snapback]

Might be a good idea, my room IS a bit chilly right now......

Of course, we'd also need a special OS and software designed for that OS to actually USE an Itanium processor, but that's besides the point.........