My Computer Won't Shut Off

alpo

Anybody have some ideas as to why my computer won't turn off when quiting windows. I am using Windows XP Pro Service pack 2

pentium 4 3ghz

512 meg of memory

160 gig HD

When I quit windows and hit shut off computer, it goes thru everything:

1. Loging Off.....then goes to next screen

2. Saving settings....then goes to next screen

3. Then it gets the the windows shutting down screen and just sits there. Like its freezing up on this screen. then I have to just kill the power to the machine to shut it down and then re-power. When I start it back up, it shows no kind of errors or anything, just boots up normally and runs ok. I have booted up in the "safe mode" then quit with the turn off computer button and it works ok and shuts down and turns off the computer like its suppose to. Also have tried to disable all the startup programs while in the normal mode, then restart; and of course I had to kill the power; and then after I start it back up it comes up and running and try to do the shut down thing, it still freezes up on the same screen. Seems to only work ok in the Safe Mode. My next step is to try to disable a lot of the services that are running and see if that helps but the way things have been going I'm not sure if that will work. Has anyone had this problem and know why its doing this????

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe try looking at the services that are running in the start-up, not just the startup programs. (the services tab). there might be a conflict somewhere. making sure everything is up to date (drivers [gfx/mobo etc], anti virus, spyware). windows updates are vital! some of them have really good fixes to sort these problems out. did it do it before sp2? is it streamlined?

i've had this problem before, but it went mysteriously over time!

I got a simular prob. In win xp I shut down and instead of just autamtically shutting down after the saving settings part it makes the usual click the it does when its shutting off but instead it clicks stays on then goes to the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" message. In win 98 though it clicks to shutdown and actully does shutdown. Why is this? Is it just xp? For info see sig. Also the last time it ever did that was when I used to have win 95 on it.

I f@(%ing hate windows update. every time that do that my computer get slowers benches and like Adds 2 sec on to the boot time. on my mom's labtop sp2 my load so slow . and then there was this sonic updater ohh i hate that thing.

i will eat me brians out if M$ even thinks about SP3

Ok first off all both your pictures are pretty close so I got confused, anyways, one time On me old mac I purposly threw away shutdown system, had to reinstall, was funny, ok maybe this will help.

Dramatically improve menu speeds and application and system shutdown/restart speeds

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]

HungAppTimeout=4000 Delay before a hung application is allowed to terminate (each 1000 = 1 sec)

WaitToKillAppTimeout=4000 Delay before windows finally starts to shutdown (each 1000 = 1 sec)

MenuShowDelay=20 Delay before a menu pops open. (each 1000 = 1 sec)

AutoEndTasks=1 Automatically closes running applications when Windows shuts down.

On the last one, you should try, I know this may not work, but its worth a shot cause After I used it I never got hanging or rundll32.exe errors anymore or anything while shutting down. shuts down fast and no slowness.

You make these changes in the registry, and heres the whole post if you interested.

Note 5th time Ive referenced this topic.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/?showto...Registry+tweaks

Enjoy.

Got it working!!!!! Went thru the services while refering to the services removal guide and restarted (had to cut the power) then fired it back up. After things got up and running waited a few minutes then did the turn off thing and BINGO!!! it clicked off. The problem must have been in a service that was causing it to freeze up. Thanks for all the tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I thought it was working. If I start it up then shut it right down than it does what its suppose to. But if I do things like get online and open other programs then get ready to shut it down it goes thru the motions and gets to the last screen where it says Windows is shutting down, and just stays there. The keyboard is off and the mouse pointer doesn't move but the mouse is still lit up. I was getting a warning type error (yellow triangle with "!" in it) in the event log saying there was a program not freeing the memory used by the registry. Used the link it gave me for help and support center and Installed Microsofts UPH Clean and that fixed that but still have the shut off problem. Have to just push the computer button and hold it about 10 seconds and it clicks off. Shows no kind of errors.

Anyone have any other ideas????

Make those registry changes, try to clean out as much junk as you can, uninstall programs and stuff you never use and if that still doesn't work. Cause IM stumped. Reformat. and reinstall.

Guest Jeremy

Try clearing your cmos. I was having a similar problem with a Dell, and clearing it fixed it up.

Got it working!!!!!  Went thru the services while referring to the services removal guide and restarted (had to cut the power) then fired it back up.  After things got up and running waited a few minutes then did the turn off thing and BINGO!!!  it clicked off.  The problem must have been in a service that was causing it to freeze up.  Thanks for all the tips.

426349[/snapback]

it would be helpful to know the name of the service for future reference!!