Should I Get A Firewall?

NoPepsiForYou

My dad has decided to network every computer in my house together and he is knows how to hack.

and since I know nothing about wireless networking would it be easy for him to get into my hardrive and stuff or should I go and get a firewall?

The best way - install Windows XP Pro and make yourself as Administrator (with 10 chars password) and Guest(Father) - Limited account (If he need access to your PC). So. Make full Windows Update (SP1 + All fixes, recommended also). Then enable firewall (in Internet Connection proporties). Then set 2-5 min screensaver (passworded) - there good default option, when you stop screensaver it shows login screen again and after you log in all programms is still running.

In fact - just install XP, set 3 min screensaver timeout, make yourself as Administrator (only one administrator in system) and store your files in "My documents". It's all you need. ;)

lol....ya and make sure its not shared!!!!...causes when your online if its shared (wich it is a default folder to share in xp) he will have full and unlimite access to it from his computer...get lock box ;) nothing is better then lock box...lol..its for MSI boards tho :/ so i duno if it would work on everything.

The best way - install Windows XP Pro and make yourself as Administrator (with 10 chars password) and Guest(Father) - Limited account (If he need access to your PC). So. Make full Windows Update (SP1 + All fixes, recommended also). Then enable firewall (in Internet Connection proporties). Then set 2-5 min screensaver (passworded) - there good default option, when you stop screensaver it shows login screen again and after you log in all programms is still running.

In fact - just install XP, set 3 min screensaver timeout, make yourself as Administrator (only one administrator in system) and store your files in "My documents". It's all you need. ;)

lol... you think that'd stop anyone?

this is how I would do it. I run my OS off of one drive have my programs on another drive and my media on another partition. Set it up so you have hotswappable drives and whenever you're not there just pop the non OS drives out and there he can get into your computer and I suppose do what he likes but he cant get to your real information :)

safest thing to do: get on his good side :)

hmm.....what is it your tryign to hide anyways...lol

No matter what...it can be gotton into unless it is phycaly un hooked from your comptuer....and then you can't see it then..so when you hook it up to see it...he can too...just get lock box or any program that encrypts files at download.com or somthin.