P4 2.8ht O/c Never Stable!

thef1re

Ive got a P4 2.8c HT

MSI 865PE NEo 2

NOBRAND PC3200 512 RAM

Ive got the following settings in bios,

Performace Mode:slow (this is defualt i dont know what it is)

CPU BUS CLOCK :227mhz

AGP/PCI:67/33 (lowest)

VCORE: 1.525o v (default)

DDR POWER: 2.6v

AGP: 1.60 v

CPU TEMP 40c

SYS TEMP 35c

Anyway ive over/c my 2.8ht to roughly a 3.191mhz

Everything is is sooth while surfing the net and such but when i play counterstrike source, i cant last 10mins without this pc restarting. What am i doing wrong? Ive got the right teamperatures but my P4 2.8 isnt going as far as i wanted it to, ive heard it can go up to 3.6 stable, but mine isnt at 3.2 stable...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the performance option in the bios is a setting that msi uses for high performance ram all i have found that it does is increase the fsb by 3 lol so its nothing really b/c u could do that on your own . it does state in the msi manual for your mobo to not use the ram performance option if u plan on overclocking i also checked into it with msi and this is the stuff they told me . as for me i have a 2.8 prescott with a gig of kingston hyper x 3200 low latency and i have the performance option on ultra and everything is running fine but u have to make sure your ram can handle it and also handle any voltage u throw at it.

my FSB:RAM ratio is 1:1

I dont want to increase vcore as i did it a sec ago and temp rose from 40c idle to 50idle. Ill try raising my ram voltage to 2.8v, will 2.8v ram voltage casue increase of noticable heat?

EDIT: is 40 CPU idle a good temp?

also its a nobrand ram, would that be part of the problem?

Edited by thef1re

uh, fan. I got 1 exhuat+ 1 exhaust PSU. then 1 side fan. 40c idle is bad? for 2.8 O/C at 3.2?

EDIT: besides CORECENTRE what other progs can gimme temps? i dont trust corecentre. but i am using it now.

Edited by thef1re

40C at 3.2 is pretty good, sorry man i thought you meant 2.8, as for cpu temp progs my best advice is to use the mobo's original program but whatever u use it doesn't really matter most of them are reliable

there's no reason to stop ocing while u search for a new cpu monitoring program just go into bios and set the warning temp to 60C (if u don't trust bios temp then u've got serious issues) that was my psichological threshold on my 2.8 then up the vcore run prime95 ( to be found in forum downloads) to see whats going on and if u start hearing beeps turn your computer off.

prolly this is stupid coz i did the same thing and fried my comp

Edited by lt_navvara

I have 2 exhaust (includ PSU) and 1 SIDE intake. What i did was take the intake off and add to back for extra exhaust. Now i have three EXHAUST. Is this good? I dont see difference in Temp drops, so ill leave it as it is, cant be bothered to chnage back.

on 1.55volts (VCORE) idle 41'c but when playing COunter-Striek source, i get up to 55'c, is this ok?

I normally play cs for about 2hrs max..so being at 55'c for 2hrs ok? system temp is always 32'c.

Edited by thef1re

IMO, you need roughly equal amounts of intake and exhaust. Basically you're trying to replace the hot air in the case, so you want it moving. As for the RAM, if you're running 1:1, 227 FSB with no-name RAM, that's not bad at all. You might want to look into an aftermarket heatsink, I don't like to run over 50