Sign in to follow this  
swifty11212

Ceo

One of the 8 female ceo of fortune 500 companies gets the boot. That woman is the ceo of the hewlett packard/compaq company. Shes been through alot to get to the top of the game. i think it wasn't fair to boot her because she was female. i think she should sue. there wasnt enough information why she was booted, but the tech industry is ruled by men like the airline industry.

She didn't get booted because she was female. Two main reasons she is gone. 1: Disagreements with the rest of the board. 2: She was responsible for the HP/Compaq merger that did nothing.

On the news of her being fired HP stock went from $2.20 a share to $22.40 a share. -- Clearly this wasn't a bad thing.

there wasnt enough information why she was booted, but the tech industry is ruled by men like the airline industry.

415754[/snapback]

Give me a break, and do some reading. There is a lot of information on why she was shown the door.

There was broad agreement today that her inability to fulfill that goal is what led to her ouster.
"The stock is up a bit on the fact that nobody liked Carly's leadership all that much," said Robert Cihra, an analyst with Fulcrum Global Partners. "The Street had lost all faith in her and the market's hope is that anyone will be better."
But her attempts to reinvent the company founded by two engineers in 1938 didn't create a more successful HP. On the contrary, the company seemed to stumble from one execution mistake to another, especially after its hotly contested merger with Compaq Computer Corp. closed in 2002.
According to the company, the departure stemmed from disagreements over how to execute the company's strategy. ... Fiorina acknowledged discord with the company's board.

well ty for the details. any ways i was watching "Good Morning America" today when they talked about her and how the industry was a mans world. oh well, thanks for the details.

The industry isn't a man's world.

Mostly, it's too tough for the men alone, let alone the women.

PS I'm not trying to be sexist here, just pointing out the hard facts.

I was at FCB advertisitng when the merger happened (we currently had the compaq ad campaign for interactive)...when the merger was under discussion, no one on both sides was happy about it. Carly was not fired because she was a woman, the quotes D3 gave sum up her errors very well. She was a good CEO, but her risks did not pay off and she pissed off a little of her fellow board members, not a good thing to do if you can't produce results.

In the end, CEOs must produce resutls andincrease profit, she simply did not do that. I'm sure she will get another chance at another company.

Funny thing, though...on NPR they were talking about getting Michael Capellas (the old compaq CEO) to replace her (he's currently ceo of mci...which is now being looked at for purchase by verizon...which is kinda funny that capellas' two companies that he's run have been bought by their competitors...not sure if i'd want him running MY company).

I am getting tired of this "people are getting fired for sexist or raical reasons" BS! Nobody gets the boot in the business world because of their . or race. In business only one thing matters "profit" if an employee no matter how high up the chain isn't doing his/her job and producing a profit for the company they should be and will be removed/replaced.

I was at FCB advertisitng when the merger happened (we currently had the compaq ad campaign for interactive)...when the merger was under discussion, no one on both sides was happy about it.  Carly was not fired because she was a woman, the quotes D3 gave sum up her errors very well.  She was a good CEO, but her risks did not pay off and she pissed off a little of her fellow board members, not a good thing to do if you can't produce results.

In the end, CEOs must produce resutls andincrease profit, she simply did not do that.  I'm sure she will get another chance at another company. 

Funny thing, though...on NPR they were talking about getting Michael Capellas (the old compaq CEO) to replace her (he's currently ceo of mci...which is now being looked at for purchase by verizon...which is kinda funny that capellas' two companies that he's run have been bought by their competitors...not sure if i'd want him running MY company).

415839[/snapback]

Those buyouts/mergers make a lot of money for the stockholders who own the company. The employees, on the other hand, get the short end of the stick with layoffs.

tell me about it...while not working for compaq directly, as their agency a lot of my friends lost their jobs. We were lucky in that we won portions of the interactive business for hp/compaq post-merger so myself and a bunch of others were able to keep ours.

However, while stockholders do make money on selling their company, i do believe that their goal is to make more money by retaining the company and having it profit.

and nerm...that's true, but women/minorities often do get fired and/or not hired based on their gender/race, etc. It's a sad truth, and one that is starting to leave, but it definitely remains.

HOwever, do not take this to think that I am a believer in affirmative action (which is a whole nother thread if we wantto get into that pickle barrel).

I work at HP as a contractor. People were happy that she got the boot and some even got party noises and claps on their voices. Why? Most of the employees did not get raises, low moral. Because she did a lousy job of being the CEO. She bought a lousy name to the company. She cost a lot of jobs for something she wanted to do which is to merge with Compaq. The merger did not produce results as she said she would so that is why she got the boot. I used to be an HP employee and thanks to her I lost my job. You heard of Lucent techologies? Well guess who was the CEO? Yes Carly. Guess what happened to the company when she was there? Went down as well. Now she is rumored to be joining the Bush Administration govt. Hmm I guess now she will be taking the whole states down. The other rumor is she is being considered to be replacing Eisner I feel bad for Mickey.