New Computer

RimX

Hey

Yea so, my aunt wants me to build her a computer for Wordprocessing and internet...She's in get late 50's so she has no plans on gameing at all with it.

This is what we came up with when I sat down with her and went over her opitons:

Pentum 4 3.0E

MSI Neo2 PFS

Cosair Value 512MB

Rosewill 16x +/- DVD Burner

WD CaviarSE 80GB

MSI GeForceMX 4000 64MB

So thats what she wants...I know that P4 is a bit overkill for what she wants to do and when I tried to explain it to her she didnt understand. I still need to find a case, psu, and a monitor...that where I really need your help. I need some suggestions. She wants a black case and a 17" LCD, and not sure what to do about the PSU she's not gonna be doing any OC'ing so i dont think it needs to be the best. Also what do you think of the rest of the parts...any recommended changes to that setup?

Uh well the whole thing kinda seems like overkill, like im sure shes into whats best for her money kinda thing, if this only only gonna be for documents and internet, do you really need a 80 GB HD, maybe a 40 or 60. does she realy need a DVD burner?. IM sure you could make a great little computer for her for under 700$.

Edited by Ste

Uh well the whole thing kinda seems like overkill, like im sure shes into whats best for her money kinda thing, if this only only gonna be for documents and internet, do you really need a 80 GB HD, maybe a 40 or 60. does she realy need a DVD burner?. IM sure you could make a great little computer for her for under 700$.

415184[/snapback]

yea i know...i tried explaining that to her but she seems set on the 80GB HDD and the 3GHz...and she wants the dvd burner so she can watch dvd's and back up all her files...I explained the difference between all the things and she wants the burner..also the prices for burners have gon way down now...that butner is only like $55...and its hard to get her to change her mind on things...yea my first build was only like $500 when i built it of course i added to it later but it still runs fine now...well the few oringinal parts do...lol

yea...that was one of those iffy parts...i said that one to her because I didnt want to get her a bad board...whats a good cheap board? well the choise is 3.0E or 3.0C the E is cheaper than the C

in my opinion for what shes doing u could get away with getting her a sempron 2800+ or lower and also not have to worry about heat. And why not just get her onboard vidio hand maby save a bit.

You need to try to explan some more that she is NOT going to see a performace boost at all for what she is doing between a p4 3.0 or somehting WAY cheeper like a sempron. Shes rly just wasting her money.

For the ps and case i would get something like this but im not sure about cooling dont p4's run hott??

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-150-015&depa=1

^^ nice and cheep with a p/s. dont think youl need that good of a p/s with onoard vidio or that kind of card (correct me if im rong) That case looks good for what shel be doing im sure she dont want some 100$$ case thats big and fancy.

the hd looks fine in my opinion sence there is only about a 10-20 $$ difference between 40-60 and 80 gb's

And if she absolutly has to have that waste of money 3.0 i would get her this but dont take my word on it its just what looks the best for what she will be doing.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-135-154&depa=0

^^ would get something like that for what shes doing.

^^just an outline i would get her somehting like that

i was just thinking that. keep the extra cash. she is NOT going to see any performace difference at all.. except for when windows is loading but u can just tell her that its like that on all computers.....

If she is on a limited budget and has to decide whether if it is better to spend $15 a month to get dial-up or $27 a month to get DSL then it would make far more sense for her to save the money by getting a cheaper computer and spend more on the internet connection.

My father complains all the time about needing to upgrade his computer because the Internet is too slow. I try to explain to him that he could get a $25,000 computer and it won't be any faster on dial-up. He just doesn't get it.

Since "Internet" is one of her requirements I'm guessing it is something she plans on using regularly. So she is probably expecting a new computer to be faster than an older one, even on the Internet. I would make getting the fastest connection available a priority. After you figure in that cost, then go for everything else.

Ya, old ppl and computers do not = understanding just get what u want for her, and just nod ur head and say yes alot of times when she talks, lol.