Sign in to follow this  
Coolzero101

Turning Off Lcd's When Idle.

This came to my mind today, would it be possibly for an LCD to go bad if you left them on to long? I turn mine off when im not using my pc.

He was asking if they went bad when left on 24/7.

I turn mine off when I am not using it just to save power, but I have no idea if it'll go bad if left on. I imagine it'd take a looong time for that to happen anyway.

Yea, id be interested to kno this too.

I hav seen with CRTs that are left on 24/7 displaying the same/similar screen, that it sorta gets "burned" in. And theres always like an outline of this pic on the screen.

Now, I also hav an LCD, and often leave it on displaying Desktop, or some webpage, now, could the same sorta thing happen to an LCD as happens to a CRT?

I doubt an LCD could get "burned" due to the way they work.

The liquid crystal actually change shape when the current is applied. if the current is removed then the crystally return to a rest state. if the current is continuosly applied for days, weeks, etc. the crystalls wont become "stuck" in a certain position causing a burned in image.

However, the grid that feeds the current to the individual crystals may become damaged from a prolonged exposure.

Anyway you cut it , it is a good idea to atleast use a screen saver. Just turn it off when you arent sitting in front of it.

i ve had the same lcd for three years now, all i do is use the power saving features in windows and have had no ill effects

-drew

There was a study comparing LCD TVs and Plasma TVs in this regard. They found that Plasma TVs were much mroe likely to burn in an image compared to an LCD TV. Both types of displays also have limited lifespans due to the way they are built. Plasma screens have an average lifespan of 30,000 hours and LCD screens have an average lifespan of about 60,000 hours.

Like marsx69 stated, anything used for too long of a period without some sort of downtime will start to deteriorate far more quickly due to a lack of a "cooling period". If you keep your monitor on 24/7, it will most likely result in a shorter lifespan. However, I doubt you would experience "burn in" with an LCD unless the same image was left on the screen for a VERY long time.

I suggest you use Windows' power management features to turn off your monitor after about 10 to 15 minutes. I mean, what could you possibly be doing on a computer without touching it or anything on the screen for 10 to 15 minutes straight? Plus, if you step away from the computer, all you have to do is move the mouse a little bit and the screen pops right back on. Not like it's an inconvenience or anything.

ive had the same viewsonic LCD for 4 years and i never turn it off unless im oging to bed or leaving the house, but there have been occasions where i left it on overnight or for the weekend when i left the house, not 1 bad pixel no burn in, i think it should last me til im a millionaire and i go buy 2 21" BenQs :P

LCD screens cant burn in, i was reading it on tomshardware review for CRT vs LCD(which are better for gaming vs long term vavle. it seems LCD screens have gotten 100times better over just a year.

i know an APPLE lcd that burned. so there :P

i turn mine off when i leave the room/go out/get drunk/sleep etc...but power-saving turns it off or the screenie does a nice job of moving images.

Guest Jeremy
Q: There Appears To Be An Image "Burnt" Onto My LCD Monitor.

A: TFT-LCD monitors are subject to screen burn-in (image retention). Consequently, you should never keep a still image on your screen for extended periods of time.  If you must keep your monitor on, use a screen saver.  If you can, set your monitor to drop into standby or suspend mode after twenty or thirty minutes of non-use. 

If you do see image retention on your screen, unplug the monitor for 48 hours. This usually corrects the problem.

457169[/snapback]

I think that leaving any monitor on for an extended period of time is a bad idea. I turn mine off whenever I'm not using it to prevent something like this from happening.

Edited by Jeremy

trust me, the Apple mac screen i saw was permanently burnt. you could almost make out the entire image when it was stone cold