For Those Who Are Angry At Valve For Steam

GregP24

Besides, what kind of gamer has dialup/no internet?

Also:

There's going to be updates with Steam. Valve is obviously trying to keep it secure.

And I havn't had any issues with updates.

Isn't it great how most of these issues with Steam are either PEBCAK or out of Valves responsibility, like slow internet or forgetting your pw? I really doubt that Valve came in at night and made you have slow internet. dang... I can see it now:

"SOFTWARE COMPANY SUED FOR GIVING PEOPLE SLOW INTERNET"

Btw, Nrg, yes, that's exactly right :lol:.

EDIT: Pragma is a preprocessor directive, that's direct instructions for the compiler... consult your manual.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people live in the boonies and no broadband or DSL is available. Besides KB, when did you become a Steam apologist? You've posted many topics along the lines of "OMFG STEAM SUXXOR." I don't hate Steam myself, I just find it annoying sometimes.

I used to hate Steam, the reason why is because i read alot of forums about steam and made my judjment on the comments i read (all anti-steam btw) and i jumped on the bandwagon and assumed it was crap etc etc.

Then i actually used it, and i think it's a great piece of software, i DO think it's lowered piracy a great deal! for the guy said it has done hte opposite, are you crazy? (and no i don't know the in's and out's of the program) but for people who say "yeah is easy to crack steam" What average joe sitting at their computer is going to know that? whats more, what average joe that has made a copy of his friends CD know to get past steam?

Whatsmore, apart from piracy (which is a minor issuse, as i the end user couldn't give a rats arse if 10million copies are downloaded of emule, im not one of those whinose who moan about people getting it for free and then paying for it myself) You have a better way to get your games. The very good way of registering CD keys to your account (helping piracy again) and then downloading any content (such as games) from the internet (albeit if you have a fast cable connection) i can see that becoming a possible future for games companies, to put there programs on the net available to clients (like the steam network) Also, you get a GUI based console on the desktop, to see what server's there are, friends, etc (excluding third party software for CS too) now that beats having to pop up the game and looking around. Plus i liek the content control inbuilt, where it easiliy viewed.

I think steam is very much refined, has some excellent features and makes it easy for the end user, to have a bit of fun, and thats what you want to do, have fun, shoot people.

(hmm, that sounded like a review *shoots own foot*)

Some people live in the boonies and no broadband or DSL is available. Besides KB, when did you become a Steam apologist? You've posted many topics along the lines of "OMFG STEAM SUXXOR." I don't hate Steam myself, I just find it annoying sometimes.

415349[/snapback]

Read my second post in the thread, and I guess that all I can say is too bad for them. Steam was made for the better gamers :D, not for HPB(High Ping Bastard)'s. Because we're stupid enough to think that szBroadBand == nPenisLength(bit of C for you :)), we automatically assume we're 1337er then you, even though we aren't.

All just how you look at it.

Well I will agree with you on one thing: multiplayer gaming on dial-up would certainly be a waste of time. As far as ragging someone for their ping, that's just kind of a waste of time too. And a little hypocritical if it's being done by people that are living at home and not paying the broadband bill.

I also fail to see how the complexity of the computer code has anything to do with a clumsy and frustrating end user authentication system.

Like I said, I personally don't have any major beef with the system. All I use it for is to play HL2. I've just had a couple times when there have been problems connecting, and it wasn't on my end.

I love steam, the only thing that would make it better would be if more companies used it. Something about being able to "click->buy" and have something in my possetion immediately is very satisfying. It makes me feel like we are actually in the digital age.

I <3 steam

Oh, talking of crashing, i have one niggle about steam, it always crashes when i shut down my computer, you know ,the non responding program and get the click to end now button. That flashes up for 1 second then it shut down (after fresh format too) don't mind so much, but it's odd that it decided to crash when you don't want to use it :P

I have personally never had a problem with steam, and I love the idea of being able to move around to like my grandmothers, dl steam and install cs right there, instead of having to carry around cds and the like.I also think that the QCF validator is quite nice and saved me from the headache of reinstalling a few times.

The complexity of the computer code shows how much hard work was put into it, and how hard it is to make the game. Hell, all the hl games run on hl.exe, so they had to code in EVERYTHING for them, put the resources in the respective GCF, and then code up some algorithms for getting those resources when they're needed, etc. It's extremely hard to program a game, and when you're integrating it into something that deals with networks and other stuff, then it's mindboggling how hard it is to program that program. Go ahead and make a copy of Steam from scratch that dosn't have bugs. There's thousands upon thousands of lines of code required for it, and when you're writing up that much syntax, things can go wrong very easily.

And yes, I can be a hypocrite at times, and so can alot of other people. Don't like it? Go to my profile and click Ignore This User.

EDIT: And also, the "End Program Now" thing occurs with ALL running programs when you shut down windows... it's safely shutting them down and removing their stuff from memory.