New Rig - Won't Post

Nemo

OK - putting together a new folding rig and I'm seeing the same type of problem others have reported where the CPU fans spin up a for half a second and then quit. After that, it won't spin up at all unless I disconnect the 24-pin ATX connector from the mobo and reconnect it.

Here are the specs:

New SilverStone 520W EPS12V PSU

MSI K8T Master2-FAR (dual socket 940)

Dual Opteron 244

4x512MB PC2700 ECC Registered RAM

2 Seagate SATA

Now, I cleared the CMOS before I tried the first power up. I have confirmed the CMOS jumper is in the correct position. Mobo is mounted using standard metal standoffs.

I used a power supply tester to confirm the PSU will come on and that it tests out correctly. I connected a case fan to the 4-pin molex and shorted the PSON to ground and the fan works.

Next I disconnected the hard drives, removed the video card and got the same results. I then pulled all but 1 stick of RAM, same thing.

My next steps would be to try all this with the mobo out of the case, and then if that doesn't work, try it with only one CPU in and see if that is the problem.

Any other ideas?

I know u said something about the you using the regular standoffs for motherboard, so prehpas the motherboard is grounding out somwhere, check if its touching the case at all?

Yeah, that seems to be the symptoms of it grounding out. Try putting the mobo on a piece of foam (like the kind that comes in the box with the mobo) and plugging in the psu and the rest of the stuff there. If it works, you know its a case problem. (You are using mobo standoffs arent you? I have to ask.)

Yeah, that seems to be the symptoms of it grounding out. Try putting the mobo on a piece of foam (like the kind that comes in the box with the mobo) and plugging in the psu and the rest of the stuff there. If it works, you know its a case problem. (You are using mobo standoffs arent you? I have to ask.)

412278[/snapback]

Yes- as I said in the original post - using standard metal standoffs. This is my second build using this case and motherboard so I don't think it grounding out. But , that was my next step to test.

Pulled the RAM, no beeps.

Well - we may have what we refer to in the software business as an ID-10-T error.

I pulled CPU 2 and got it to power up. Um- embarassed to say that my CPUs aren't a matched set (duh!)

Anyway, now I have another problem as I'm not getting any video. Guess, I'll try to swap a card out of another rig and try it.

No - a cheap MSI MX4000 since it's only used for folding. I pulled it and swapped it for a 9600XT out of another rig and got it to work. Put the the MX400 back in and it started working too! Go figure - I had already reseted it several times! Now I just have to get another CPU to match the one that works and I'll have another folding rig on line.

Thanks for all the replies.