Hardrive Powering Down

0kibi

In my earlier thread I posted about my hardrive randomly shutting off then on again, which may have been due to a high AGP/PCI frequency. The frequency has been lowered now, but it continues to power itself off then on again. On closer inspection I noticed that the drive would power off if I tapped the molex connector powering it. It looks like the part where the power connector plugs in is loose, in fact it seems to be bent slightly. I tried different molex connectors to no avail. I've taped that portion of the drive with some electrical tape, and so far it hasn't powered off again. But I have a feeling all it takes is a slight tap to crash the system.

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations? I purchased the drive used from a friend, and I'd rather not return it to him if it can be repaired (I believe it's past warranty now.) Any help at all would be great.

Thanks. Oh, the drive is a Western Digital Caviar SE 100gb 7200rpm.

Okay 0kibi, time for some epoxy magic! :D

I had the very same issue with a IDE drive (though it was a Quantum Fireball 3.2Gb :P) and actually, I just used superglue (hey, it's still non-conductive :P) to re-inforce the molex socket, while I re-soldered the molex/pcb conduct points to repair the dry solder joints (caused initially by the loose molex socket) after which the problem NEVER returned to plague me ever again :D

On second thoughts... nah! it's toast, send it to me instead! :P:lol:

Good luck PM me if you require any further assistance ;)

Edited by tazwegion