Raideon 9600xt 256

00gixxer750

Whats your comments on this card, and does anyone have a good overclocked setting for this that I could try. I was going through my bios and in the agp area it says Graphic Aperature Size, right now it is set to 64mb, but i can change to 32, 64, 128, 256. Is it at the correct setting, and what doew this change?

I normally use 128MB, and it works well with 64MB, 128MB and 256MB cards.

My 256MB, 256-bit FX5900U actually runs slightly slower with a 256MB aperture....

'Overclocked setting'? Well, you could always install PowerStrip or RivaTuner.

Both are good and include testing features that will show you where your VPU/vRAM's upper limits are.

Then you just back those max clocks off a little bit, lock the settings, and have XP use those speeds at boot.

ATITool is another good o/clocking utility that will test your card for it's upper limits and give you the option on loading different profiles for different applications (it's also quite a small download), 128mb aperture setting seems to work ok for me too. As an aside I used to have a 9600xt of the same spec as yours and it wasn't a great o/clocker peaking at about 520/620 but I beleive this varies depending on manufacturer and the memory they use on the board, pretty much top whack for this board with your system specs is approx 14000 in 3dmark 01

I always set my agp aperture to be equal with how much memory my videocard has. For example, my 9700 pro has 128mb of mem, so I set mine at 128.

410640[/snapback]

Going to sound dumb, so I should set mine to 256?? What possibly cvan go wrong by doing this and what does Aperture setting have to do with.

I set my aperature to 256 in bios and re-ran my benchmarks using AuqaMark3

These first two were my old scores

msg-50122-1270760294_thumb.jpg

that was stock settings of 500 / 300 w/ Aperature set to 120mb in bios

post-69295-1270804344_thumb.png

that was with my AGP clocked at 571 / 327 w/ Aperature set to 120mb in bios

This is after I switched aperature size in bios to 256

that was stock settings of 500 / 300, Apet 256

OC'd with the AGP clocked at 571 /327 (still 256 in bios)

As you can see it didn't do squat. Got a slightly higher mark but nothing that I could visably notice while gaming. What do you all think?

Sorry that teh images wouldn't post up. I have no Idea how to do that on this board. I uploaded em and it attached them as files. Can they not be .bmp to be displayed on the board as an image??? Maybe jpg's?

Edited by 00gixxer750