9700 Pro Won't Allow Cpu Overclocking.

guzzidom

I have just replaced my 9600xt with a 9700 pro but it will not run with my cpu any more than 5% overclocked, whereas the 9600xt and the GF3 ti200 that preceded it had no issues at all and both were overclocked in their own right (especially the gf3), this 9700 pro just boots to half a screen of multicoloured snow at my systems default 2.17 overclock and refuses to play until I return things back to 200-210 mhz on the fsb, I would like to blame this on a lack of agp/pci lock but that wouldn't explain why all my other cards are fine (agp/pci lock is supposedly auto on this board), in the bios it mentions "PCI latency timer 32" and this value is changeable in lumps of 32, is this anything to do with the AGP /PCI lock?, the card itself also craps out and gives artifacts at anything above 325/620 default.

On the bright side this crappy 1.9 Ghz O/C has allowed me to almost halve my ram latency figures!

As an aside, this is the first card I have used that requires a seperate power supply, surely that couldn't be playing a part as my psu is a real cheapy, surely it wouldn't work stably at all, as opposed to just when overclocked?

I'm kinda going with you there r target, as I said in my post the AGP/PCI lock is supposedly auto and there is nothing I can alter from BIOS ( browsing about, it seems most reveiwers get tidy O/C's from this board so I have had no reason to doubt it 'til now), guess Id better change the psu and hope that allows me to regain my old and much missed 235mhz fsb