Hidden Folding@home

Coolzero101

Im currently modifying the OCC Folding@home client so its %100 invisible (from task manager also), but its alot of work. Would there be a way to load it as a file extention into some random process's?

Not without violating Stanford's license for the software:

You may not alter the software or associated data files.

You may only use unmodified versions of Folding@home obtained

through authorized distributors to connect to the Folding@Home

servers. Use of other software to connect to the Folding@home

servers is strictly prohibited.

Even if you persist in doing this and hide the client somehow, you will still have one of the cores running and it will be visible in the task manager. The client will look on your system for the required core software and if it doesn't find it where it expects under the proper name it will force a download of the core from the Stanford servers and you're back to where you started.

Just out of morbid curiosity- why are you doing this?

It'd be nice if you could update to the newest version of folding and allow users to select a percentage of the cpu utilization; to my knowledge you can't do that in version 4. I'd try to get it on some of the Dells at work, but with 100%, they sound like vacuums with all the fan noise :lol:

It'd be nice if you could update to the newest version of folding and allow users to select a percentage of the cpu utilization; to my knowledge you can't do that in version 4.

I have some programming experience, changing the core names won't be an issue. Im more interested in making the console into a file extention for windows that loads the cores as a windows service under svchost.exe so its invisible. And if they delete any of it then it will re-download it. Yes its viral. Ill desist if its something that will really get me in trouble. For the record its for pc's that I own.