Thermo Electric Cooling

jkdmaster

I was at Frys today i saw thermoelectric cooling, its a sponge with a ceramic block conected to electrical wires and it is supposed to be pretty good according to the guy that i know there. Has anyone else ever used this? he said one side gets freezing cold and the other side burning hot, but i dont know. Any suggestions would be cool, thanks.

Thermoelectrics are based on the Peltier Effect, discovered in 1834, by which DC current applied across two dissimilar materials causes a temperature differential. The Peltier Effect is one of the three thermoelectric effects, the other two are known as the Seebeck Effect and Thomson Effect.

so when you hook up your pelt to a psu, the hot side will get hot and the cold side will get cold..but how cold the cold side can get is determine by how well you can cool the hot side and how much temp difference the pelt can generate... basically a really good pelt will have high temp difference but the wattage for it will be high like 400W??

let say your hot side is at 50C, and the pelt can have a difference in temp of 50C, your cold side can get up to 0C :P of course the cold side you let it come into contact with the cpu and you somehow find a way to cool the hot side...preferably by watercooling :)

One side of the peltier cools down really low and the heat is transfered to the other side. It will create condensation and has to be insulated. If you do not transfer the heat off of the hot side then the pelt will fry. You have to get most likely get a separate PSU to power the pelt and for today's hardware you have to get a powerful pelt.

One side of the peltier cools down really low and the heat is transfered to the other side. It will create condensation and has to be insulated. If you do not transfer the heat off of the hot side then the pelt will fry. You have to get most likely get a separate PSU to power the pelt and for today's hardware you have to get a powerful pelt.

lol, not only you fry the pelt, you fry your cpu too man.. and yeah you need to get a seperate PSU but it need not be a powerful one.. if you use those 226W ones, you wont be able to get sub zero temps , maybe in the low of 5-10C .. it is cheaper but performance wont be as great... but i rather stick to watercooling...insulating my pc system is such a turn down

Guest Silenc3

I've dragged my friends pt cooling over, its vrey nice for overclocking but is a real big beach to take care of, insultaing etc, condensations. Its quite minds boggling.

I wouldn't touch it for regular use of your PC. You really have to have the highest cpu and want to go even faster to get into that otherwise i'd stay away.

Edited by kobalt