Western Digital Hardrive Problems

0kibi

Allright, I've got a 100gb Western Digital Hardrive at 7200rpm. It has been running fine for a month or so now, but recently it's been giving me some problems. I'll leave my computer on and go off to paintball practice, or out to grab some food and when I come back the hardrive light will be solid and the computer will have either gone completely black or has locked up. When I reboot it comes back locked up, but if I turn the system off then on again it boots fine. Just a few minutes ago it crashed just viewing the forums. I heard the hardrive stop spinning, then the hardrive light went solid.

So, I've got it powered on a different molex connector. And I've dropped my FSB down to the normal 166, as I lack a PCI/AGP lock. I think, that having my AGP/PCI Frequency at 70/35 might be causing these problems.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. :)

lol, Why put it in the refrigderator ?

408650[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. And I can't send it back to WD as the warranty if past. What's a good fitness test to try? There's one on the WD website I tried and it cameback with a 'Pass.'

HDTune is a great program to test for foreign errors.

408654[/snapback]

Thanks. I'll try that. Anybody have any ideas why this mgiht be happening? Could the high AGP/PCI frequency I had cause it? :huh:

i cant belive you guys dont know the fridge trick!

after you put it in and it gets cold..when the hdd gets hot the disks inside will rub agisnt each other( this is why ur HDD is crashing most of the time)

so when it ges cold those plate shirnk just a little..allowing just enough time for you to get al ur data off before the drive is un usable at all

edit; YES if ur agp isnt locked that could be why..had 2 hdd's blow on me becuase my old KT400 board didnt have a pci lock

Edited by Agallion

i cant belive you guys dont know the fridge trick!

after you put it in and it gets cold..when the hdd gets hot the disks inside will rub agisnt each other( this is why ur HDD is crashing most of the time)

so when it ges cold those plate shirnk just a little..allowing just enough time for you to get al ur data off before the drive is un usable at all

edit; YES if ur agp isnt locked that could be why..had 2 hdd's blow on me becuase my old KT400 board didnt have a pci lock

408663[/snapback]

Well my board has a KT400 chipset, I think thats the problem. I've clocked the FSB back down to 166 with a 12.5 multiplier. It's not as fast, but I'm hoping it will be easier on the hardrive. HDTune is running a full test now...

you can get a program (for free i think) called SMART Monitor that will give you the SMART codes off the disk in pretty much real time. the WD utility only scans them once when it's started.

I would definately back up anything important to you, ASAP.

If you can't find the program send me a pm, i have it on my HD and can send it to you.