Choices

Cbass

hey

i was just pricing out mobos and cpu's for my new build and i wanted you opinions on what to chose

p4 3.0e HT with an asus i865g p4p800 mobo

or

amd 64 3000+ 939 with a msi k8n neo2 plat nforce 3 mobo

whitch one would be better for gaming, video, music editing i was thinking the p4 because it has ht so it would multi-task better and there both roughly the same price theres a 3 dollar difference

thx in advance for your opinions

AMD64 3000+ 939, if you don't want a lot of noise and headaches.

The P4 chip you're looking at is a presscott, so it's bound to be hotter than the AMD64, which means you would need a louder fan to cool it down. Presscott's are notoriously hot chips. AMD64's are better for gaming too, they're a higher-performance chip overall.

Whatever you do, avoid onboard video chipsets.

The 865PE in the P4P800SE is what my GF is using, and it is great.

For multitasking, the P4 is better; for gaming, the Athlon is better.

There really isn't that much difference between those two CPU's you mentioned...except for the fact that ONE of them can run 64-bit code!

BTW, my 2.8E @ 3GHz is running cooler at all loads under its 120mm totally-silent Zalman cooler than my GF's 2.4C rig - and she's using my old Scotty cooler! So don't let people worry you about those "Super-Hot" Prescott myths...

When I got my AMD athlon 64 3200+ I read that it had HT, hyperthreading, if thats true then, since you like gaming I would go AMD, usally cheaper and like everyone said better for gamming.

When I got my AMD athlon 64 3200+ I read that it had HT, hyperthreading, if thats true then, since you like gaming I would go AMD, usally cheaper and like everyone said better for gamming.

409114[/snapback]

AMD has HT but it is known as hypertransport and it is not the same thing as hyperthreading. to read more about hypertransport click here.

Guest Silenc3
BTW, my 2.8E @ 3GHz is running cooler at all loads under its 120mm totally-silent Zalman cooler than my GF's 2.4C rig - and she's using my old Scotty cooler! So don't let people worry you about those "Super-Hot" Prescott myths...

409090[/snapback]

If your doing alot of gaming go amd, if more video and music editing go intel, your choice here.

And I fully agree with you fastvfr, The pressie myths are way to exagerated, they may be hot, but its not like these things boil compared to an equal amd chip.