Does Turning Off Ht Help Single Program Performanc

crazym0dz

No, it doesnt work that way. You'll only be using half your cpu. Try this, run a game (or whatever program you KNOW would use 100%) w/ HT on and open Task manager. You'll see it runs at 100%.

Now exit and go turn HT off. Go back to Windows, open Task manager and run the same program. You'll see you're only using 50% cpu. :withstupid:

I tried it when I first built this system when HT came out. I doesn't work quite the way you're thinking.

Edited by Pent uP Rage

No, it doesnt work that way.  You'll only be using half your cpu.  Try this, run a game (or whatever program you KNOW would use 100%) w/ HT on and open Task manager.  You'll see it runs at 100%. 

Now exit and go turn HT off.  Go back to Windows, open Task manager and run the same program.  You'll see you're only using 50% cpu. :withstupid:

I tried it when I first built this system when HT came out.  I doesn't work quite the way you're thinking.

407651[/snapback]

Even if that is how it is displayed, that is not how it is really working.

Ok I didn't mean to imply that it magically frees up 50% of the CPU power. Hyperthreading is a psudo SMP method that allows the ALU of the core to be constantly fed by work to do. So there are two "lines" going into the Units to be done and it feeds of those as fast as it can. So with HT OFF one of those lines is not being utilized, but if the otherone is keeping the ALU working at full past then everything is still running smoothly

I hope that helps.

Now the question is "Will you get better performance without HT?" While my explination doesn't addres that directly let me say this, Windows has many services running in the background, so having HT on can likly smooth out their interfearence with your beenchmark / gaming etc My advice leave it on.

Ok I didn't mean to imply that it magically frees up 50% of the CPU power. Hyperthreading is a psudo SMP method that allows the ALU of the core to be constantly fed by work to do. So there are two "lines" going into the Units to be done and it feeds of those as fast as it can. So with HT OFF one of those lines is not being utilized, but if the otherone is keeping the ALU working at full past then everything is still running smoothly

I could never have said it better than this.

early on i had the same questions so i've tried turning ht on/off (mainly because of long UT2k4 load ti times). in ALL benchmarks the score was slightly lower (about 10-15%) but my loading times got better and windows seemed to load faster but in that case loading times varied too much since the results are limited i decided to keep ht on (duuuH!)

hmm.. ive never made a bench before.. so HT helps when im making benches (benchmaking) ?

409150[/snapback]

using HT on your computer will help u ALLOT, u'll get a huge boost in all benchmarks and in gaming your rig will run smooth butt pie :lol::lol: