Unreal 2004 Won't Install *cry*

spathalogic

I've been having this problem getting Unreal 2004 Tournament to install. This is the error I consistently get:

UT2004 Setup Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2207 MHz with 1023MB RAM

Video: No Video

Assertion failed: Map [File:.\USetupDefinition.cpp] [Line: 382]

History: USetupDefinition::InstallTree <- (ProcessCheckRef SetupGroupWindows Manifest.IntGroup) <- USetupDefinition::InstallTree <- (ProcessCheckRef SetupGroupWindows Manifest.Setup) <- WFilerPageCdFolder::GetShow <- WWizardDialog::Advanced <- WWizardDialog::OnNext <- WButton::InterceptControlCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WDialog::DoModal <- Setup

Does anyone know a solution to this error?

Well, there goes my hard earned $30.00 and the 6 and counting hours I'm going to be spending to attempt to fix this problem, though I've tried everything out there in various archives... even of languages differing from english :P.

I wish this would work... oh yeah, this would be the DVD version of it.

continues to scream random profanities at his computer...

I don't think the "Video: No video" has much ground. I've done a lot of UT2k4 error research (:lol:) and that line just seems to be the norm in almost every error I've seen, and if there is a solution to that error, it has nothing to do with the video.

I hope you can understand... I just can't take another 3-4 extra hours of work that might not improve the situation at all. What I need is a definitive solvent :(. Your insight is much appreciated though, and hopefully when I'm feeling up-to-the task I'll come through and try your suggestion.

Alright:

My video card drivers are... well I'm not exactly sure, but I know I just downloaded them today (1.29.05) from the ATi website.. so erm, I guess 5.1.00 or some such thing?

[Just FYI, I've just went through heck and back again figuring out how to update my DVD-rom's firmware]

If you are bored and what to help a poor fellow out, do a bit of google searching and see if you can't find something that'd drastically improve my situation :).

EDIT: SEE SOLUTION AT BOTTOM.

What am I to do? :cry:

Yes, the DVD version is on a DVD drive; if it wasn't, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't read at all.

I've also noticed the transfer mode is set to "pio." Would changing it to any of the others help? I tried one of them, something like "Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33" and then windows wouldnt boot :lol:.

Here is part of the email I sent to tech support:

The problem I am having is with installing Unreal Tournament 2004- 2 DISC DVD Edition. When I insert the disc into my DVD-rom, everything is fine up until the page where it says "select components" (there are none listed) and when I click "next" I get this critical error:

UT2004 Setup Build UT2004_Build_[2004-03-03_02.42]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2208 MHz with 1023MB RAM

Video: No Video

Assertion failed: Map [File:.\USetupDefinition.cpp] [Line: 382]

History: USetupDefinition::InstallTree <- (ProcessCheckRef SetupGroupWindows Manifest.IntGroup) <- USetupDefinition::InstallTree <- (ProcessCheckRef SetupGroupWindows Manifest.Setup) <- WFilerPageCdFolder::GetShow <- WWizardDialog::Advanced <- WWizardDialog::OnNext <- WButton::InterceptControlCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WDialog::DoModal <- Setup

I have spent yesterday afternoon, evening, and into the next day's morning, about 7-8 hours, trying to troubleshoot this problem. I have since then:

1. ) Updated my video driver and DVD-rom firmware to the most up-to-date.

2. ) Uninstalled SP2, and installed SP1.

3. ) Reinstalled SP2

4. ) Ran programs such as Prime95 and memtest succesfully for 8+ hours each without any errors (the hours I've worked above are man hours, not involving me waiting for the computer to complete tasks.)

5. ) Completely cleaned out my computer's case and various heatsinks, though I believe this does not cause any errors.

6. ) Scoured this website and various online communities for a solution to this problem with no avail.

7. ) Attempting to install the game at least 10 times.

8. ) Restarting my computer.

9. ) Checking to see that other DVD-ROM games work in my DVD drive; they work flawlessly.

10. ) Cleaned the disc extensively, and over and over again.

11. ) Attempted changing the "Transfer Mode" of my DVD-ROM from PIO to "Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33." This did not improve the situation.

12. ) I have also copied the entire contents of the DVD to my harddrive, with no errors. I tried to see if it would install from there and it didn't.

______________________--

EDIT: I stumped tech support but they told me to try getting another DVD-rom or exchanging the game for the same thing.

Solution: Using a new DVD-rom drive to install worked flawlessly.

Edited by Instag0