New Power Supply Time

Guest FxXP

Well folks, I have decided to pack in the old Enermax 350w and step up to something with more juice. I have also decided to go modular, and have been looking at the following power supplies:

Antec NeoPower 480w or the the OCZ PowerStream 520w. They both have been doing really good in the reviews and I like the OCZ especially for its looks (blue, you know I love blue!).

What really impresses me is that the OCZ can pump out 52A on the 5v rail, yet the NeoPower has dual 12v rails equalling 33A compared to the OCZ that only has 28A and a single rail.

I've been tempted to try the OCZ. Anyone have any complaints regarding it?

Between the two, I would pick the Antec Neopower. The Neopower is a full ATX v2.0 PSU while the OCZ Modstream is a v1.3 PSU. What is the difference between a 1.3 vs. a 2.0 PSU? The most important differences are the dual 12v rails and improved efficiency. Why are two separate 12v rails better? With two separate rails there is more room for error in reguards to stability.

Edited by lilkev715

Maybe I should rephrase that lol. Basically the dual separate rails can distribute the load more evenly to the CPU/peripherals connected. One rail is dedicated to the CPU/mobo while the other rail is dedicated to peripherals/molex connectors/etc.

Well I am going to say that I am definitely not impressed with this PSU. It failed to power up my 9700 Pro and two S-ATA hard drives. I am returning it for the NeoPower. Turns out that OCZ's support forums are littered with issues with bad 12v rails on the PowerStream/Modstream PSU's.

Edited by FxXP