Replace Or Mod Laptop Psu

NCC10281982B

When running my laptop and charging its battery the powerbrick gets really hot. Running [email protected] is also a shure way to cook it too BTW. I think the issue is my laptop is drawing more current (amps) than the brick can provide. So does anyone think it would be possible to mod a desktop PSU or simmilar unit to replace the power brick? Or mabye add a heatsink or somthing to the powerbrick?

Brick output: 19V 4.7 amps.

Laptop input 19V 4.7 amps. It says 4.7 amps max but I have to wonder.

Thoughts?

I have though of getting one of those gust to cool the laptop. Though that is a secondary issue. I am morew worried about the power brick getting too hot.

Any time you change energy their will be a resulting temperature increase or decrease. You are converting 110 to 19 and that energy has to go somewhere and that is the heat you are seeing. What brand laptop is it . Any pics of the power supply? Just to see what it looks like. Any ventilation holes in it?

My sisters HP laptop PSU heats up like mad also. I get a few in the shop once in a while, and they all seem to run hot. I would not worry too much, but you could always look for a forum or FAQ on your manufacturers website.

It's laptop by the way :)

I wouldn't mod it...

Theres really no modding to it. Its just basicly 2 fans that blow on the bottom of the laptop and it is powered by usb or plug it into the wall depend on what you get. You just put the laptop on top of the cooler. No srewing of cutting holes to it.

Theres really no modding to it. Its just basicly 2 fans that blow on the bottom of the laptop and it is powered by usb or plug it into the wall depend on what you get. You just put the laptop on top of the cooler. No srewing of cutting holes to it.

407262[/snapback]

WTF!?!?! do you not understand that he's talking about the power adapter for the laptop? the thing that give it POWER.

As far as the question, just keep it out in open air and dont drop it. Follow those rules and you'll be ok.

I had my Toshiba's burried under some stuff foolding for about 5 days solid and the adapter got hot and the waeaker plastic on it actually cracked. The replacement was a total POS adapter and in 5weeks it has managed to stop working after a little accidental drop, now im usign the broken one that came with it until Best Buy gets the 2nd replacement sent out to me (I love their service plans on laptops :))

EDIT: another thing, if the laptop itself gets a little too hot do what i did, get some AS5 and redoe that Heatsink. Temps run teh same now but teh fan works alot less to do it bc the heat transfers so much better (btw 50-66C before same now, but it takes longer to get hot when u start it up)

Edited by cchalogamer

I say just use it bc there are WAY too many things that could go wrong in trying to switchit out.

But if you want to and your not afraid to have to go buy a new one or get electricuted, by all means try it :)

(keep in mind capacitors can hold there charge for several days after being hooked to a powersource. So if you start playing with it and you touch the wrong thing ZAP)